Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newbie, bio load question

butkevic

Hi All,

I just got a 12g system yesterday and put in about 15-20 lbs LR and 3 lbs Live Sand. I am thinking of adding the following:

2 percula's

1 cleaner shrimp

3-4 emerald or blue leg crabs

3 snails

2 aneome frags

1-2 clams

Various Corals as space permits

Is this too much? Is the cleaner shrimp a good/bad idea? I read some previous posts and searched, but I wanted to ask specifically for my system.

I have power compact lighting, bio ball and charcoal filtration, and will add a heater if I need to but so far the lights keep it toasty. I already have a 125 FOWLR so I have some familiarity, but am still a novice. I thought a nano would be a good way to introduce myself to a reef.

I appreciate any tips, advice, or answers.

Thanks.

Welcome to NR.com :)

As far as bio-load goes, your stretching the limit. I would either do 1 clown and 1 cleaner, or 2 clowns, no cleaner. Do not do crabs as they are evil. Substitute nass. snails instead. Anemones I think is what you were asking about? You can do one, and ONLY ONE if you have good lighting.

Some more specs on your tank would help out. Like, whats the wattage of your PC's and color. Etc etc.

Good luck,

Kris

thanks for the reply and the welcome

I thought a cleaner shrimp would reduce the bioload by eating pollutants, but i can certianly leave it out if need be.

I thought the percula's fare better in pairs.

Can i go for small anenonome's (sp) and then have 2?

I don;t know the wattage of my PC's.

Would you recommend anything to stir up sand if not crabs?

Narsasis snails, I don't know the correct spelling, sorry. Those and a tiger tail cucumber will stir up the sand just fine. Couple those with some turbos and/or astreas and you will have a dandy clean up crew.

Shrimp may clean things up, but they do contribute to the bioload. Clowns do better IMO in pairs but do just as good singularly. No anemone stays small. Except for some roses. You could try those and I will not say that you shouldn't keep 2 in a 12. I have kept 5 in a 28. Its all relative. However, since you are NEW to reefing, an anemone is later on when your tank is a bit more mature.

You do need to find out what wattage your PC bulb/s are.

that is a little low on the power side if you want a clam i would not recomend one

and if want an anenome you realy need to be pateint and plan for it becouse they are very sensitive to water quality

i would strongly recomend an additon of a protien skimmer

and start the tank as follows

1 lr&ls cycle one month

2 add snails and 1 or 2 blue leg hermts no emerald

3 wait 6-8 more weeks check and maintain water every week

4 around 3 months after set up get anenome( feed it chunks of meaty treats directly twice a week)

5 wait one month then get 1-2 small tank raised clowns if the water quality has stayed stable and favorable.

good luck

and take your time on choosing an anenome to find out what kind of anenome you want

and go slow after wards adding new corals or anything cause anenomes are again sensitive to water quality

and high bioload is what you want to avoid not challenge

gargoyleexotics

Unfortunately 12 gallons is too small for multiple anemones and you should also keep in mind that most of the host anemones will outgrow the tank.

24 watts over a 12 gallon really isn't enough for any of the host anemones.

how long till a typical anenome outgrows a 12 gallon? I ask because in about 2-3 years a plan on converting my 125 fowlr to a reef and move the predators into a 300g.

I heard that if i added cured lr and live sand that no cycle was needed. what are the thoughts on that?

are any anenomes better than others for a beginner?

thanks for the replies.

gargoyleexotics
how long till a typical anenome outgrows a 12 gallon?

The smallest of the commonly kept host anemones is a BTA (they are also the hardiest and the best choice for someone new to anemones). They can easily get over 12" across and they grow fairly fast. A healthy BTA could outgrow that tank within a year (at the very least it could end up taking up all the room in the tank).

If you are wanting to get an anemone to host your clowns you will need one big enough to do so. Clowns can be hard on anemones and if the clown/s are too big compared to the anemone this can be detrimental to the health of the anemone. A good rule of thumb is to get an anemone that is at least 3 times the size of the clowns when fully open.

If you decide to get an anemone (and a BTA is your best bet) you will want to upgrade your lighting. Also, anemones do best in mature/stable tanks so you should wait awhile before attempting to add one.

most of the LFS's in my area have anemone in with clowns so you can purchase an clown along with its host. good idea?

I would really like an anemone and would upgrade my tank if need be in a year to accomodate its growth, what size would i need for something 12"?

gargoyleexotics
most of the LFS's in my area have anemone in with clowns so you can purchase an clown along with its host. good idea?

What type of anemones?

Also, remember that you would still need to upgrade your lighting first.

Archived