SaltCritters.com

DIY Refugium

lil_schmitts

I am planning on making my own refugium out of .25" plexiglass. I have unlimited suplies at my school so that won't be a problem but on thing i havent figured out yet was how i am going to get the water back into the tank. I want to make a lip similar to what is on a power filter but do you think i will be able to bend the plexiglass in that shape?

Does anyone have a better idea?

any help would be nice

thanks,

Adam

Adam,

If you have the proper equipment, you could heat bend a piece of acrylic to create the waterfall overflow that most HOB filters use to return water to the tank, or just simply use an uncapped bulkhead. In the same way as the waterfall, let gravity send the refugium water back into the tank. Your refugium's design will ultimately determine the best way to plumb your return; an easy DIY might be to follow the CPR AquaFuge design. Note however that though the Aquafuge functions sufficiently as a refugium, it was not originally designed by CPR for this purpose and there are probably better designs and/or improvements you can find to DIY or purchase.

To make things simple, a bulkhead return gets my vote. More pictures that may be useful available here: Oogie's Nano Reef

shoot alien, i will give you one. i have all the parts. the main problem i am having is finding the PERFECT container. i have my latest with a surface skimmer but it is still just a trash-can. i need a clear one but the best i can do is opaque white.

nalbar

here is a picture of the inside. sorry about the pic quality, i am still trying to figure out how to post pix.

5/8 tubing fits perfectly inside 1/2 pvc pipe if you squeeze it. the two pieces of acylic on the top are for the light to sit on. you can just see the interior acylic.

lil, it is not a protein skimmer but a surface skimmer. so it sits right where the second pipe clears. i got that top from an old under gravel filter i had.

like most DIY'ers, i still am not happy with it. by the time i get one i am happy with i will spend 300 dollars and have 15 rejects! LOL. that is the downside of having to much time and to many tools!

nalbar

Originally posted by nalbar

looks great hw. just remember to sit it on something because that joint where it hangs on will be the weak point.

nalbar

i'm using 4mm stock for the 3 vertical L shaped parts that hang the refugium to the tank and forms the side of the overflow return. there is also a horizontal piece that forms the lower part of the overflow return that will also contact the edge of the tank that's made of 4mm stock. i got the box from this outfit in the uk.

4945247612899_m.jpg

http://www.mujicatalogue.co.uk/gallery.asp...1&Sub=9&PID=181

i'm hoping that i won't need any bottom support.

OOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!: : : I LIKE THAT NALBAR!!!! I WAS THINKIN,to try and use one of those translucent storage containers that they sell at wal mart for 3 bucks

ya know what you could do is maybe cut it down by ......1/4 -1/2 so it will fit under your cabnit VERY NICE THO, VERY NICE

Hi guys...

Just thought i'd chip in my two cents....i had the same idea about building a lip similar to those on an AC filter but seeing that it was pretty difficult, i ended up with a simple output pipe....here's a link to my thread which would give you a good idea on how my fuge was built.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19907

Haven't had much problems with it yet....only regret is that i should have made it a lil higher and the baffles about an inch lower coz as it stands, the water is flowing about half an inch from the top of the fuge....no dangers of overflowing as yet....but i hadn't taken into account for that initially....other than that...works like a charm....a lot of room for macros and LR...no doubt a lil narrow (only 5 inches) but the convenience of having it sit behind my tank outweighs that. In total giving me about an 8 gallon volume in addition to my main tank (abt 16g)

HTH....

Smokin-Reefer

so, basically, you fill the tub up with the water, turn the pump on, the pump, pumps the water into the tank, where it goes into the surface skimmer, and up the tube, back into the container?

i'm planning on drilling my 20 for a sump/fuge but dont understand how it REALLY works.

ya smokin, what it really is, is a big hang on back filter. simple. it is just that the area (separated by a plexi divider from the pump area) where the filter media would normally go is larger, in order to hold sand and live rock. and the flow is less so it all stays calm.

nalbar

pump 15$ (i had mine but my LFS has nice ones for 15)

trashcan from home depot 4$

silicone 4$ (with plenty left over)

various fittings 3$

acrylic 4$ (i had mine but you can buy pieces)

nalbar

I was thinking of using a clear container, drilling holes to use some 3/4" PVC fittings for intake and outlet, and then put some acrylic in to seperate the actual fuge part. Am I on the right track or not? I just can't see paying $110.00 for an aquafuge for a 20g Long tank, when it can be made. What gph powerhead should I use? Thanks in advance.

ya ken, you are on the right track. make sure to sand a little where the seperation goes to help the silicone grip there. as far as a PH, 100gph should be fine. for a 20g maybe 150, even 200. you do not want to much flow through a fuge.

nalbar

• 3 weeks later...

Archived