inTank Media Baskets

My tank is a Shrimp killer

Thane

Ok, my set up, 12 gallon JBJ nano, 4 turbo's, 1 false perc and loads of live rock. From what I have read, snails are very sensitive to water conditions. Well, I have put in a cleaner shrimp, did fine for a few days (was eating) then dead, and same with the dancing shrimp. First I though that it was lack of Iodine, so I added a little and had that tested, seems to be ok now, so I got another cleaner and a blood shrimp, they didn't even last 24 hours, they seemd to be fine and then they just lay on their sides and died... Please any ideas? my temp is 24 deg... steady. All other parameters are fine (had a little amonia last week, but gone now). Thanks in advance

I dose strontium I have not problems with my shrimp, my electric scallop, or the two hitchiker unkown clams I have, same with my hermit crabs or snails. .all doing fine. The only thing I have a hard time keeping in my tank are starfish

check water for copper shrimp are very sensity to nitrites and ammonia. which is why the do best in tanks that are 3 months and older

they need to eat to in a new tank you need to manually feed them with some food and maybe some tweezers

My tank will be 3 months old on the 21st, so it's still a little young at the moment. Haven't tested for copper, but the rest of the parms are great... Thanks for all your help... hope it's a copper problem and nothing more (ok, I know that's not the right thing to say, but then I'll at least know whats wrong!)

Originally posted by Acoustic

Are you dosing strontium?

I just read an article that elevated levels of strontium kill shrimp and crustaceans first.

Can you point out the article 'koos. My cleaner died not too long ago after heavy doses of Flatworm Exit. And my zoos haven't been doing well since then either. Last week I dosed 1/2 capful of strontium in addition to ReefPlus. Maybe a coincidence, but the emerald hasn't been moving much the past few days. I thought it was getting ready to molt again. This morning I found it dead. I'd be interested in reading the article you mention. Thanks

Archived