ReefCleaners.org

Need help IDing an algae you sent me

juniormmm

I've received my order yesterday and am pleased as always. I received an algae that I was hoping you could ID for me please.

T5Lights028.jpg

I looked at all your algaes on your site and the closest thing I could find was some sort of Gracilaria maybe. It doesn't look too much like the flame algae.

Also is there anything special that you must do to acclimate the Florida ceriths? This is the 2nd batch of them that I recieved and so far out of a dozen ceriths I only have 2 that survived. When I open the bag there is no funky smell. I understand that they can take 2-3 days before they start moving but my 1st batch only had 1 out of 5 or 6 that started moving. So far this batch of 6 only has 1 moving and I've seen my recently added cleaner shrimps all over the ones that haven't started moving yet. They keep "cleaning" the inside of the shells so I'm very doubtful that the other 5 are alive. I've followed your acclimation process and just seem to have very bad luck with these guys. It's a shame since I really really like them.

*edit*

Wow I didn't realize how blurry that picture came out. It doesn't look nearly that blurry on my computer.

red gracilaria

the ceriths take time to move, you have to give them time. they will not move right away, check their opperculum and send the picture of it to me. any claims have to go by way of email.

Are there different kinds of red gracilaria because I already have that but it looks completely different than whats in the picture above. The one I have is not nearly as frilly as this one.

This is a better picture:

T5Lights029.jpg

Sorry John, I was not trying to make a fuss over the snails. I definitely do not want to file a claim of any kind. With all the freebies you've givin out I feel like I owe you a few weeks of scrubbing dishes (or tanks :P ). I was just wondering if the Florida's require some special care in acclimating since the dozens of dwarf ceriths all seem to make it just fine.

different variation/species of red grac. then you are used to i bet. there are more than 30 variations of grac. tikvahie, (spelling...), and tons of species of gracilaria, this is a variation of grac. t. -

temperature acclimate and add to the tank is it. dont add water to the bag when acclimating and they should be fine.

no problem! email though so we can get squared away...

Are you talking about scotch bonnets? So many different hobby names, that I am not really sure which species you are talking about. Scotch bonnets aren't snail safe, predators/scavengers (nice looking though), so we dont carry those, not sure if those are what you are talking about though.

Are you talking about the species that aquacon carries? I dont want to speak poorly of another vendor, (even though they stole some of my pics - :) ), but that is not a nassarius snail.It is Babylonia formosae, it is a predator of other snails and bivalves, but the extent it will make kills in an aquarium, (where there is generally enough to scavenge on), is unknown to me.

Maybe Babylonia formosae

Some say they are a whelk, some say a nass. Either way they supposedly act exactly like a nass and stay under the sand until you feed the tank.

yep that is the guy, it isnt a nassarius, (or a whelk) not related to either. most snails have probes, especially carnivorous snails, and the confusion starts from there, as they generally get lumped in with the Nassarius.

Most predatory snails stay under the sand too, unless they have to hunt (almost always at night for burrowers), or if there is the smell of food in the water. it is listed as a predator though, and its family orientation suggests the same. Check it out and see what they do, would have to watch them at night though, unlikely to see a burrower hunt in the day like a whelk or a rock shell would (or a triton etc...) In an aquarium, they are likely to just scavenge and not be a pest, they will likely find enough food in the tank to be happy enough to skip on hunting.

do you have clams? if not, for a shell like that, risk it and see. They are amazing to look at, just think of it as a pet and make sure it is well fed.

Hermits kill snails, of this we are certainly sure. Yet they can be a good component of a CUC, this guy may be too.

Archived