Pod Your Reef

Need all the advice I can get

fidojoe

Okay,

This is my first post here, and this looks like an awesome place for info on nanos.

I have a 50gallon tank that is a FOWLR, that has been set up for 11 months, and want to put some more agressive fish in there, but need a place for my ocellaris clown, plus I've always wanted a nano.

So, I am looking at gettin either a JBJ 12 gallon nano cube, from my lfs for $99, or a 12 gallon eclipse for $89 from petsmart. I am leaning towards the JBJ, because of the light that it comes with is a 24 watt, and the eclipse is only 13 watts, so I wouldn't have to upgrade anytime soon. I would be removing the bioballs from the JBJ, or the biowheel from the eclipse, depending on which I get. I will either pull 15 # of the LR from my 50, or maybe just buy some more LR, but not sure what I want to do yet. I also like the JBJ because it is glass, so it doesn't scratch as easily. Hey, I think I just talked myself into the JBJ:P .

Anyways what other things would I need to look at buying? I know the circulation is lacking in the JBJ, so I would need a powerhead, but I don't want a rio, would an AquaClear 201, or 2-101's work? And how deep is the sand bed that you guys (or gals) keep in your nanos?

In the nano, I would like to have:

1 or maybe buy a a second ocelaris clown

1 cleaner shrimp

couple snails

BTA, or other anemone that will host my ocellaris

some mushrooms, and maybe a couple other types of soft corals.

If you have any pics of either a 12 gallon JBJ, or eclipse can I please see them. I just wanna do this the "right" way.

Thanks very much, and sorry for the really long post,

Joey

you'll probably want to upgrade that lighting so keep that in mind, especially if you plan on anemones and corals. reefers are never satisfied until they go blind.

microjets or minijets are also good PH options. i like the micros as they're small and reliable, a little more cleaning maybe. hth

Archived