Innovative Marine Aquariums

using already cycled water from my freshwater tank to start a nano?

ludachris821

i have a forty gallon set up of freshwater that has been up around for a year, can i use some water from that to start a tank, adding salt of course. a 20 gallon is what i was thinking of using. i would test my paramenters and all, but it should work right?

no, the bene bacteria are different for FW to SW. kinda like putting a goldfish in the ocean or an anthia in a stream.

the best way to start is to let the cycle go thru its paces. it's kinda like laying the foundation of a house.

it doesn't take that long for the cycle (usually 3~6 weeks) and it gives the aquarist a good opportunity to research info and equipment for applicability and pricing. hth

you could use the water, but there is no benefit what so ever more like you would be using nutrient rich water to start your tank:(

and as tiny said the bacteria is totally different. so you'll have to cycle just do your self a favor and start w/ new good water;)

You could also run into problems if the freshwater has been treated with medicines, chemicals, plant fertilizers. I'd completely stay away from it, clean water is cheap and as stated before it will not help your cycle time.

Archived