Cultivated Reef

What would you do ?

gbishop

Hi all,

I seem to be having alot of green algae on my glass and quite alot of brown stuff on my LS.

Although my original idea of using only LR & LS as my only filtration, I am now wondering if I would be better off adding a skimmer. I only use RO water for any top offs and water changes.

Living in the UK, we don't seem to have some of the equipment you guys mention available, one which is, is the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Skimmer.

I've read some good and bad views on here regarding this skimmer, so as yet I am undecided. It does however have a media basket.

My question is, would this be a suitable skimmer for my size tank and would the media basket take carbon, which I understand could help clear my water up a bit?

I am also thinking about upgrading my tank to a custom built 24x24x24, with a sump. If I do decide to go down this road, would a internal skimmer in the sump be better than the HOB Prizm and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks

i always recommend a skimmer. it's a great filtration method and very helpful for our closed systems. imo, they can't hurt as what they strip out is constantly being produced anyway (organics).

carbon is another filter method is always use. reefs are pristine (except certain areas, skip) so we should try to keep the water as such. the carbon polishes the water and water clarity also greatly aids light transmission. in addition, the carbon adsorbs any stray chemicals that in our human environment/society can easily seep in.

internal skimmers are by and large more effective. that's a different animal altogether and very aggressive in its skimming (again my pers pref). hth

skimming is always a good thing any negative effect of skimming is controlled with your water changes so do not focus on that

as far as hob vs. internal maybe you can find one that can be hob for now and switch to sump mounted when required I think cpr makes some but do some searchs to find one that fits your needs and budget

I will have a search for a dual purpose one.
actually, the most common version of that, the Skilter, is a unit i would NOT recommend. it's a bit unwieldy and loud. i would opt for separate units.

a cheap air-driven counter-current skimmer is actually very good for small tanks. add a cheap hob like the AquaClears and you've got what you need for about $40US.

Archived