Pod Your Reef

pH! Help!

saltwaternoob17

saltwaternoob17

I've had the tank for about 5 months, and it had always maintained a pH of 8.2 until this past week when my pH started mysteriously dropping. I've been doing 5-10% daily water changes in an attempt to bring the pH back up. After the water change, the pH typically comes back up to around 8.0, but by the next day it has already dropped back down to around 7.4-7.6. Why does my pH keep dropping? What am I supposed to do?

Have you done anything different recently?

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was that you might have a problem with a low Oxygen/high CO2 level in your house, which is something that a lot of ppl have had a problem with lately.

I would think that would have shown up as a problem earlier than this though.

saltwaternoob17

I recently added to the tank a small xenia, galaxia, and candy coral. And, about 3 weeks ago I moved the entire tank from my house to my new apartment...

Ah.

How much you wanna bet the CO2 levels in the new residence are the culprit?

No really, I'd put $$ on it.

There's a simple way to find out if this is the case.

-Test the Ph of the water in your aquarium

-Take a small water sample and aerate it outside for an hour with an air pump and airstone.

-Then test the Ph from the aerated water sample. If the Ph rose from what it was in the tank, high CO2/low Oxygen levels are probably the culprit.

-To confirm this, you can do the same aeration test indoors. If the Ph from this sample stays the same or goes lower, it confirms the above result.

It is apparently not an uncommon problem to have elevated indoor CO2 levels. Imagine that it might be more of an issue in houses that are well-insulated.

The only ways to keep it from being the case is to exchange more of your indoor air with outdoor air or to employ some sort of CO2 scrubber.

You could keep it from affecting your tank by piping outside air in via your skimmer's venturi.

I recently added to the tank a small xenia, galaxia, and candy coral. And, about 3 weeks ago I moved the entire tank from my house to my new apartment...

Besides this being a CO2 issue because of your new residence, your tank might be going through a mini-cycle which would affect your pH as well. What are your parameters for the tank? Also, if this is a C02 issue and you dont want to leave your windows open, I have thought about what would happen if someone in this situation added some house plants, big green leafy ones, to use up some of that CO2. Another option would be to add a fuge and run it on a reverse or 24hr light cycle. Hope this helps.

... what would happen if someone in this situation added some house plants, big green leafy ones, to use up some of that CO2.

If you had enough plants, light, water, nutrients and air flow you might be able to reduce [CO2] during the day but it would go right back up again at night. Plants, like all other organisms, respire.

The refugium would also work but it's effectiveness with regard to [CO2] is, like the house plants, dependent on more than just its existence.

You could also check your alk and calcium levels just to cover all your bases. If calcium is too high and alk is low, ph will drop/fluctuate.

saltwaternoob17

Thank you all. I am going to run the CO2 test, and I'll also check my calcium levels. As for the other parameters, everything is in-check except for my alkalinity which has also been a little on the low side.

Would excess CO2 also fuel hair algae growth? Since the move my hair algae has been going CRAZY!

saltwaternoob17
Alk numbers?

My Alk test only has a "low", "normal", and "high" color chart range. And right now, my Alk is barely below normal but part of the "low" color region.

I wouldn't bother actually measuring O2 or CO2 levels.

Just do what wheetie said. It is a tried and true trick, and will tell you if this is indeed the problem. Just eliminate the possibility or confirm it, so you can move on to other possibilities.

As for why this happens: many houses, especially newer ones, are very well sealed against drafts. Too well, in some cases. People breathe, things decompose, etc... CO2 accumulates. Furnaces, fireplaces, and pet elephants can also contribute.

It's summer. If you can open a window near your tank, do so. Note if your pH rises over the next hour or two when you do so. Or just do what wheetie said.

My Alk test only has a "low", "normal", and "high" color chart range. And right now, my Alk is barely below normal but part of the "low" color region.

You need a kit that reads in numbers, not ranges. What you are describing is next to useless for reefkeeping.

saltwaternoob17

I can't run Wheetie's CO2 test until later today...but as soon as I get the results I'll let you all know. If it is a CO2 problem, though, what can I do?? The window in my apartment doesn't open, so I have no way of letting fresh air in...

As for the Alk test, I agree, and I'm going to look into getting a new one.

You need a kit that reads in numbers, not ranges. What you are describing is next to useless for reefkeeping.

This^

It would also be good if the numbers were accurate. :lol:

If it is a CO2 problem, though, what can I do??

You have been given three approaches:

1) pipe in outside air using a skimmer venturi

2) add on a refugium and run it 24/7

3) pack your house with plants and run powerful lighting to keep them photosynthesizing 24/7

You are the only one who knows how your apt is laid out and what your options are.

+1 to getting a new test kit. One inexpensive yet reliable option are the API saltwater master test kits. I'm assuming if the pH kit is like this, then the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits also are not accurate.

saltwaternoob17
+1 to getting a new test kit. One inexpensive yet reliable option are the API saltwater master test kits. I'm assuming if the pH kit is like this, then the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits also are not accurate.

I will get a new Alk test kit, but the other kits I have are fine (they all read accurate numerical measurements vs. the Alk test which just has a color chart).

Tonight I finally tested the CO2 theory, and CO2 is the mastermind behind the mysterious pH drop, so thanks to all of you for your help. Now I just have to figure out what to do about it before things start dying off...

I only have a 14 gallon biocube so is the skimmer option thrown out? The back compartments of the biocube I've turned into a make-shift refugium, though, and now I have the chaeto getting light 24/7.

saltwaternoob17

What are the brands of the other test kits?

The vast majority of the test kits are Red Sea including the Alk test (which is weird), but I also own a few Instant Ocean and API test kits.

Uh-oh, Red Sea test kits have a reputation for being extremely inaccurate.

I actually speak from experience on this, it's just what I've "heard".

Archived