Top Shelf Aquatics

Is supplementing Iodine and calcium nessasary?

generatorx

I have a 29bc with zoas, rics, hammer, frog, trumpets, gsp, and xenia. Should I be supplementing? My tank is about 2 months old. My calcium levels are normal and my ph is good. I heard Iodine, calcium, and Strontium is important to add. I would like to see faster growth as anyone would. Should I be supplementing nutrients or food for my corals? Everything is growing fine but I don't want to see something parish.

Is "purple up" any good? or Seachem reef complete and Seachem reef plus? They apparently have a combo of stuff.

Thanks guys/gals

You add supplements only if your test kits tell you they are depleted. Iodine is not necessary, you get plenty of tha twith a good salt mix. Calcium and alkalinity may be needed if you are stocked with SPS and LPS corals but again ONLY in conjunction with regular use of a test kit. Never ever add anything to your tank you don't have a test kit for and know for certain its needed. That goes for purple up and everything else. Usually supplements are not needed and water can be kept optimal with regular small water changes.

Iodine doesn't need to be dosed. Calcium may or may not, depending on the test.

All the supplements you listed are not helpful because they try to dose many things at once. Please do a search on more accurate chemicals to use, and get those test kits.

Archived