Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Advice on my Water Params

Taboojen

Hey All:

I need some help with my pH, which seems a bit low to me. Need some advice as to where my water parameters should be. I'd like to keep mainly LPS and SPS. The tank only has live rock and a few snails and hermits. Tank has been cycling for a few weeks, with live rocks I transfered from my 55 gal FOWLR tank. Its bare bottom right now.

Water - Catalina Co. Real Ocean Water.

Temp - 78-79.5 F

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - none registered.

KH - 9 dKH

Calcium - Last tested at 460-480.

pH - 7.87 - 8.0

Magnesium - Not sure - Need a test kit for this one.

Is there something keeping my pH low? I was reading other threads about CO2 in the home - could this be it?

I think it is too early to worry about ph levels. Just achieving 8.0 in a newly cycling aquarium is great. You don't have enough living creatures/plants/algae in the tank to boost the ph to 8.3.

Monitor the issue. I would not try adding buffer yet.

PH drops when CO2 levels increase. This is why people have a reverse photoperiod with a macro algae fuge. Helps keep ph higher during the night.

Speaking of. how long after lights on are you taking your PH levels. And what salt brand are you using?

Thanks for the advice. :) I'm just trying to achieve stability before i start with my first SPS. I've had softies and a few LPS in the past and they have been extremely forgiving.

My RKL gives me the reads for the pH - So, i've just have been observing at different times in the day. As an update -- I did leave the window in the room open all day and over night. Just got home from work and the pH was up to 8.06-8.1 this evening - about 3 hours into the light cycle. I guess it may be the CO2 levels in the house - as we had the windows closed most of the weekend, with the A/C on as a result of the recent heat waves.

I'll refrain from adding any buffer and see if it stays more consistent with the windows open.

As for the salt - I actually filled my entire tank initially with Catalina Company Water - the so called "real ocean water." I haven't make any salt mixes on my own yet - as my RO/DI is still en route. I do have a bucket of reef crystals that i intend to use eventually. Do you think the Catalina water has low kH or pH? - as I read somewhere that ocean water tends to be a bit on the lower end of the pH spectrum, as around 8.0-8.1. I could be wrong.

I think it is too early to worry about ph levels. Just achieving 8.0 in a newly cycling aquarium is great. You don't have enough living creatures/plants/algae in the tank to boost the ph to 8.3.

Monitor the issue. I would not try adding buffer yet.

PH drops when CO2 levels increase. This is why people have a reverse photoperiod with a macro algae fuge. Helps keep ph higher during the night.

Speaking of. how long after lights on are you taking your PH levels. And what salt brand are you using?

Natural Sea Water (NSW) has 8ish dKh Alk and about 420ppm Ca. In aquariums, people tend to keep the alkalinity a little higher to keep the pH stable, around 9-10 dKh, but you can certainly keep the level closer to NSW.

Archived