Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mussels in fuge

bgoode

thing is with mussels (and any other filter feeders, e.g. feather dusters, clams, dendro, etc.) they can strip out the benefits of a refugium (i.e. plankton generation). altho the mussels may produce some plankton thru spawning, it isn't a daily event (unless you're a human male :P ). you want something that will spawn, poop, or exude on a fairly constant basis. sliming corals (e.g. softies), worms, phytoplankton, microcrustaceans, mucus feeders, etc. are good options.

now if you're using the refugium as a nutrient export instead of microfood source, macroalgae is one of the best options. the key aspects for a nutrient export refugium are: fast growth (fast nutrient uptake) and ease of export (pull and toss).

turf algae (microalgae) actually satisfies all the requirements above: good habitat for plankton, fast growth, and somewhat easy extraction but it's unsightly and can grow out of control. hth

Cool thanks. I hadn't thought about the plankton side of it. I was thinking that it would export nutrients, but it didn't occur to me that they strip out plankton. Thanks.

Archived