Innovative Marine Aquariums

High nitrates and algea on corals

Skadwick

Tested my water this week after seeing some strange algea growth and was shocked to see my nitrates had spiked to around 30. I have changed about 40% of the water in the tank this week with 3 water changes and have been picking out algea almost daily. I want to know what could have caused this spike, how to drop my nitrates back down, and what kind of algea is this (is it killing my corals?) ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Heres pics of it now.

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

DSCF0069.jpg

I know the algea in the last two pics before the FTS is red slime but im not sure if that is what the longer stringier algea is on the corals.

Please help!

spankyleatherlips

perhaps check out the Ultimate ID thread . I am no expert and am new to the hobby. Just wanted to try and help. Or the Pest and Disease thread.

looks like diatoms. They'll go away on their own. How old is your tank? If it's not fairly new, then it's cyno.

edit- I think it's cyanobacteria

if i were u, when u do a water change, try to siphon out as much of that cyano as possible. check water parameters and make sure their all on check. sometimes cyano outbreaks r do to lil water flow in areas because detritus might build up in some spots and cause nitrates to go up. my 2 cents

if i were u, when u do a water change, try to siphon out as much of that cyano as possible. check water parameters and make sure their all on check. sometimes cyano outbreaks r do to lil water flow in areas because detritus might build up in some spots and cause nitrates to go up. my 2 cents

I do suck it out each time. And its weird one of the big patches of cyano is in an area where all the sand was blown away by my ph cause of the flow.

I do suck it out each time. And its weird one of the big patches of cyano is in an area where all the sand was blown away by my ph cause of the flow.

thats what probably caused it. theres alot of detritus under the sand and when the powerhead blew sum of the sand, it caused the detritus to spread around your tank. id just keep up on water changes and if it doesnt change and only gets worse, try chemi clean. reef safe stuff and got rid of the cyano outbreak in my tank. but this does not solve the cyano problem. just make sure u have everything on check and it should go away. good luck.

looks like diatoms. They'll go away on their own. How old is your tank? If it's not fairly new, then it's cyno.

edit- I think it's cyanobacteria

I posted in the pest and disease thread...it was IDed as cyano and they said possibly dinos.

Archived