Coral Vue Hydros

Just starting out. Please help

devo

Hello I would like to start a salt water tank and have NO idea how to or what I need. I have a 40gallon tank and I have kept fresh water fish in a 40 and 100 that are still up and running fine but Ive always wanted to step up to saltwater but very scaird. Any info on how to get going on this would be great. Thanks

the first thing is research, research, research! almost every enthusiast site on the internet (no matter what type, cars, planes, women) has an 'information' button. this ones is in the upper left hand corner next to where it says 'home'. read EVERYTHING there TWICE. then visit other sites and read their 'information' buttons. then start reading threads and follow links that are in those threads, even the ones that go to fish supply sites.

use sites 'search' feature to answer easy questions. this sites 'search' button is upper right corner.

GATHER INFORMATION!

DON'T TRUST YOUR LOCAL FISH STORE!

you have to decide what type of salt tank you want. this is a nano-reef site, which is almost as 'niche' as you can get. it might not be the best option for a first salt tank.

be careful posting beginner questions here because the people here can be quite cruel to those they consider less informed.

feel free to private message me if you have other questions.

nalbar

Thank you for your advice and I will Keep you in mind for further information.I always say you have to start somewhere well I'm going to take baby steps. I have seen alot of beautiful pictures here of nano tanks and hope to have something half as nice in the near future.Any information on how to get started is great even for future care of it would be great. We learn from our mistakes so those who come behind us don't make the same ones. Thanks again.B)

Reefer_Buddha

patience is the key. and a fat wallet helps. Just watch your levels and get good lights, dont over feed and get a cleanup crew. Thats all for now. Dismissed :)

just to reiterate what everyone else has said. read the info.

www.nano-reef.com/articles

^^read all of those. lots. Not everything will make sense the first time, but it'll all come together.

I'd like to disagree with reefer_buddha on one thing: a fat wallet can be bad. A skinny wallet forces you to take it slow.

Find a local reef club to answer your questions and get frags from.

Come to chat! www.nano-reef.com/chat You'll find lots of very helpful people there who know what they're talking about at almost any hour of the day.

Thanks for the help in stearing me on my way. I have begain to read up on neno tanks and can't wait to get started but I'm wondering I have a 40g already but is it to big should I buy somthing smaller? I really want to succeed.:*(

when you're talking size, it really depends on what you have to spend. i'd love a 40 but don't have the money for the lighting, rocks, etc. if you can afford to outfit the 40, go for it. you have a lot more options as to corals and fish that you can keep. On the other hand, if you looking to wow someone with the amazing tiny ecosystem you've created, the 40 probably won't do it :P

brandon429's nanos:

attachment.php?s=&postid=105667Z

Thanks again for all the advice so far. I was in to Big Als today just to have a look on how much it would cost me to get started out. Wow even for a 5g it will cost alot no matter I knew it would be cheap.

My question for anyone who can help is this. Do you have to have a pound of live rock and a half pound of live sand to start out or can you add as you go? Just wondering because I already have a 40g.

Also can I use any tank or do you have to use a special typ for salt water?

Thanks again.:*(

Archived