Cultivated Reef

Lightning question?

Rampy

would be this enougn for some sof corals and polyps?
depends upon the size of the lighting you're talking about and the distance from light to target is. e.g. a 18" deep tank will need strong light if you have the livestock at the bottom but maybe not if you keep them toward the upper part.

water clarity and a host of other factors also play into the issue. (i.e. no real simple answers, better/more accurate answers are possible with more specific questions)

Are these VHO fluorescent or NO?
the bulbs will say it and the ballast will as well. take a look at the lighting article in the info section at the top of the webpage. it explains the differences in better detail. californiareefs.com (physh1's site) also has a good breakdown imo. hth

you can tell if they are VHO by the watts on the bulb or the ballest and vho bulbs have a differnt connector and don't slide and turn to lock into place like a typical flour bulb. if you have 2 typical flour tube and 1 is actinic and 1 is 10k (I'm not sure of 18k) you can keep most polyps and and some softies you should look in to a book like "corals" from julian sprung about the llighting needs and any thing that is low light will do well under that light but i would take lighting very seriously for the future strong lighting can make everything so much easier and better

Yes those are the tubes that i have, marine glo and power glo they are 15 watts each, wich it makes 30 watts total for a 10 gallon aquarium, where Could I find infromation about invertebrates lightning requirments on the net?

Archived