inTank Media Baskets

bio Wheel?

Rampy

I have, a 10 gallon aquarium. ANd it's already fully cycled, I have 10 puns of live rock, and Now it's a lot of live in the aquarium, diferents mini invertebrates, so I think is going the right way. I have a mini penguin filter, whit filter media anda bio wheel. should I keep the bio wheel? What are the reasons for not having it, I know the biological filtration would be placed at the LR but the bio wheel wouldn't add more biological filtration to the aquarium? what about the filter media? is it necessary?

ive read that the bio wheel is NOT nec. for a reef tank, however with that being said the books ive read so far dont indicate a problem with leaving the bio wheel in place. I think its been a raging debate for a VERY long time, cause the whole point of having the LR is for the biological filtration that naturally ocures within the LR. however, im within the mind set of MORE IS ALWAYS BETTER, .............i mean im using a fluval canister filter, with activated carbon and floss, i like it cause it keeps my water quality high by taking all the particles out of the sys. so it dosent have a chance to break down into ammonia -nitrite- nitrate etc. couple that with a good skimmer and keeping a diligint eye on your specimins and testing for pollutants........................... thats MY OPINION ...............................WHATS YOURS>>>>B) B)

We (as in the LFS and myself) have found that the bio wheel tends to jam due to salt creep. Also, if you lay out the bio wheel, the surface area of the media is tiny compared to the area of of crushed coral for an under gravel. I am NOT ENDORSING A UG HERE. All you need for a bio filter is some LR and LS. That's it. HTH

I talked to a guy that i know that maintains my Dad's 150 gallon reef tank and he said the bio-wheel isnt nessasary but might be nice to have. I really trust this guy. He heads the saltwater department at Sacramento's largest aquarium

that is absolutly TRUE it is going to be a HUGE debate for the next 1000 yrs:P what it really comes down to ...................is WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, go back and read the old posts that "chipotle" just linked its a great read, and just remember>>>>:D ITS WHAT WORKS FOR YOU:P :P

Not to be condescending or nothin, but every week we get a question about keeping the bio wheel or not. There has to be at least one thread on it per week. Dont people lurk? Dont people search. Why oh why must we have a question per week on the bio wheel?

Archived