ReefCleaners.org

(Oceanic) 29 G or (JBJ) 28 G?

Palmer

Hi Everyone,

I am new to salt water (actually not even new I don't have a tank yet!), I have had an african cichlid tank for about 10 years and decided to take the next plunge. Although it seems to me that going the nano reef route may be more challenging in many respects I am still considering this route.

I was looking at the Oceanic 29 gallon and the JBJ 28 Gallon and wondering what folks thought about the pro's and cons of the two models from the perspective of the stock configuration and what you can initially keep. I am also interested in experiences in how easy each can be upgraded as far as one brand verses the other. I have looked at Nano tuners and it looks as if both can be upgraded but wasn't sure if one had more flexibility.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Palmer

Hi Everyone,

I am new to salt water (actually not even new I don't have a tank yet!), I have had an african cichlid tank for about 10 years and decided to take the next plunge. Although it seems to me that going the nano reef route may be more challenging in many respects I am still considering this route.

I was looking at the Oceanic 29 gallon and the JBJ 28 Gallon and wondering what folks thought about the pro's and cons of the two models from the perspective of the stock configuration and what you can initially keep. I am also interested in experiences in how easy each can be upgraded as far as one brand verses the other. I have looked at Nano tuners and it looks as if both can be upgraded but wasn't sure if one had more flexibility.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Palmer

plenty of mods for both. if i had to do it over again. i would shell out the money for a cadlights, solona or elos mini. read post on peoples tanks before making the decision. i have a bc29 and spent about 800~ so far. could have bought a used setup for that price.

I'd go cadlights too. I used to have the oceanic 29g and loved it, just wish it were drilled. You could always drill and add overflow for a sump.

Thanks for the advice I haven't seen any of those brands before. The CADLIGHTS 39 G professional series looks too good of a deal to be true. I would have to look into shipping to Canada but I would definitly want to look into this since it doesn't look like there would be too much need to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice I haven't seen any of those brands before. The CADLIGHTS 39 G professional series looks too good of a deal to be true. I would have to look into shipping to Canada but I would definitly want to look into this since it doesn't look like there would be too much need to upgrade.

good choice. if you want to trade bc29 for your cadlights if your not satisfied. lmk!

honestly, I LOVE my BC29, its easy to maintain, the cube design looks good, and didnt need very many mods to run well. Id love to have gotten a solana, but they're so expensive.

If you decide to not go with the solana or other, I would suggest the BC over the JBJ. I have a 24g nano-cube, and am much happier with the BC than the JBJ tank.

honestly, I LOVE my BC29, its easy to maintain, the cube design looks good, and didnt need very many mods to run well. Id love to have gotten a solana, but they're so expensive.

If you decide to not go with the solana or other, I would suggest the BC over the JBJ. I have a 24g nano-cube, and am much happier with the BC than the JBJ tank.

Thanks for the info thats good to know. Although I really likes what I have seen of the cadlights tank I read more about it and realized it is much more of a DIY tank and would require a lot more installation. This may not stop me from getting it but It is good to know which of the other two brands you like better.

Palmer

Thanks for the info thats good to know. Although I really likes what I have seen of the cadlights tank I read more about it and realized it is much more of a DIY tank and would require a lot more installation. This may not stop me from getting it but It is good to know which of the other two brands you like better.

Palmer

to rebuttle that. check out the jbj 28 hqi thread. they are able to keep better corals (sps) right off the bat. unless you intend to swap out the lighting anyways then i would suggest BC but jbj is ready to go atleast the HQI version. :lol: just food for thought. i would check out what your looking for and all the mods available.

just trying to give you a clearer look at both. i went in only thinking biocube when i would have loved to go with the other three i mentioned.

Archived