inTank Media Baskets

Dreadlocked Crab Hitchhiker

monsoon

During acclimation with a newly arrived SeaCrop order...

One of the colonies on a LR fragment started to move... Low and behold there is a tiny crab (about 3/4 inch across) covered in.. a leather of some kind?

Here's a shot as of five minutes ago, am doing an extra slow acclimation before putting this one in the QT tank (better pics later):

id_rasta_crab.jpg

Any ideas?

BTW, very very pleased with the SeaCrop.com order so far. Thank you Mary!

I'm just settling down after a day of fun, will shoot pictures tonight.

Yep, definitely zooanthids on that guy. What we call our "colony zooanthids" Generally are green, pink, or blue. I'm not sure about how reefsafe the crab is though. I hope he is, cuz it would be a shame to have to dispose of him! Too cute!

Thank you all for the ID, I couldn't believe it when the colony started moving...

I took extra care to acclimate over about 2-3 hours, and have put this guy in the QT tank by itself. If not reef-safe I think it deserves a nano-species tank eh?

Moved this crab to the main tank, worried that the QT tank was too sterile. It proceeded to crawl to its old rock and begin to molt... pulling out of the old shell, reversing back in-between shell and zoos, and the re-attaching the colony.

zoocrab_molt1.jpg

Finally, its pushes the shell off the rock and starts eating it..

zoocrab_molt2.jpg

look above BS. opened zoos.

nice yellow color on that crab.

reefsafe or not, I'd keep it. cool as hell and odds are it won't look to snag other decorations as it already has a nice chunk of zoos.

Archived