inTank Media Baskets

bryopsis and a nudibrach

mattie

i have been getting bryopsis algae growing in my tank. it's been a little bush on one LR but i'm noticing it spreading and starting to grow faster. I have trimmed it back twice now in the past month and i'm try to get rid of it. raised alk, raised Ca and lowered light period and greatly reduced feeding. but it doesn't seem to stop. i understand that this is a phase in a young tanks life but i don't approve

I want this stuff gone now and I don't want an emerald crab

i don't want a fish

some one told me that a lettuce nudibranch would eat(destroy/kill) this and all algae in the tank. I am sceptical on getting a nudi just becouse i don't know any who has kept one alivefor long and I know there is not enough bryopsis in the tank for him to be feed for more than a month or so.

i am searching for an other eaters of this algae or any suggestions on how to care for a lettuce nudi. or any other idea

i have tried all that I know with out the results desired.

i'm hoping sombody has a wiz-bang solution

I have a lettuce nudi in my tank, had it for a few months. Check my tank in the Members section. I have two water outlets (to fuge and AC) and put some hagen pre-filters around them. The nudi has been fine so far. I don't have any powerheads in the actual tank, it was too hard to screen them off well.

Additionally, the lettuce doesn't eat all algae, but does really well with the hair algae. My bryopsis (not the same as hair algae I believe) went away after a month or so without the lettuce...

they supposedly will kill the bryopsis. they don't eat algae actually. instead they suck out the chloroplasts or something like that and the algae dies.

anyway, the bryopsis will grow faster than the nudis can kill it. experience on this so take my word for it.

if you can remove the rock(s) with the bryopsis do so. ditch em. only safe bet. I tried pruning, yanking, pulling, oral b, etc. always came back.

damn stuff is not controllable.

Seriously mattie, just toss the rock, it's much less hassle in the long run. Buy yourself a nice new chunk and cycle it on the kitchen counter in a bucket of saltwater. The spouse loves it when I do that, in fact, just tonight he asked why I had two buckets in the kitchen. One with cycling LR and one with SW and a PH for my WC tomorrow. Hehe.

Archived