Cultivated Reef

Live Rock - When does it go in?

newnano

As mentioned in my previous posts, I'm new to this and I'm planning on starting a 15g high nano soon. I don't plan on using an UGF, just a Skilter HOB filter and maybe a powerhead (not sure though). At what point during the setup process do I put the Live Rock into the tank? I figured the setup process is as follows:

1. Add substrate to clean empty tank.

2. Hang filter on back of tank (don't plug in).

3. Place Heater in the tank (don't plug in).

4. Add enough water to cover the substrate.

5. Add Live Rock

6. Add remaining Water.

7. Add salt to attain proper specific gravity.

8. Plug in Filter.

9. Wait about 1 hour and plug in heater. Set temperature.

10. Add source for ammonia to start cycling.

11. Wait for water to stabilize then add livestock.

Are these steps correct? Am I missing anything?

Thank in advance.

Ok..

You never want to add rock to water only. It NEEDS to be added to saltwater. FW alone will kill anything on rock. You also ideally want to have the temp close to where it needs to be before the rock goes it....no need to expose it to extreme colds. You also don't need to add an ammonia source. The dieoff on the live rock itself will serve your cycling needs.

The way I usually prefer to do setups is:

1) do your step one

2) add some pre mixed saltwater to the tank (maybe 1/2 full)

3) add live rock

4) place any equipment in/on the tank (heaters, filters, etc)

5) fill the rest of the tank up w/ pre mixed saltwater

6) get filters and heaters running

7) in a few weeks you should be cycled but TEST, TEST, TEST.......

Some people prefer to set up their rock before the substrate goes in. Some say placing the rock on the bottom of the tank is more stable.

Cameron

Don't have much to add to what Physh has already said. Keep in mind that your tank will look like a sand storm for up to 48 hours after adding the liverock - particularly if the bottom is disturbed while aquascaping. Either way, be mentally prepared to see things in your reef that look very wrong - but in fact are to be expected. If your an old hat at FW, you probably know the "bowl on the bottom" trick, to keep from disturbing the substrate while adding the salt water. You can also use a piece of liverock to serve the same function.

Archived