Innovative Marine Aquariums

using lake or river water

viejito55

I am moving to anorther city Trento very close to a lake and a river, the pet shop does not sell water there so I have to use my own. do you think I can mix lake or river fresh water with syntetic salt instead of using tap water?

the lake is "garda lake" in italy the cleanest lake I have ever seen, it has clear water (gravel bottom not sand). The water comes from the mountains.

thanks for any advice.

I don't think you should take that risk. The lake and river probably has some agricultural run-off which means pesticides and pollutants in it. Is there no where locally for you to purchase bottled distilled water?

oh ok..I will look again then, the only sell distilled water for ironing with perfume on it. I hear the tap water is pretty good here thought so... I might just do that. I hate to thought. thanks anyway.........

aquarium pharmaceuticals make a water de-ionizer for around 40$. The phosphates, nitrates , nitrites , and ammonia were all undetectable with water from this filter. It will cost you about 50cents a gallon though. If you have the cash, go w/ a ro/di uniit. that is , if you plan on keeping saltwater for more than 6 mos ;)

Buddha you beat me to it!!! I'm not sure what the satas are for Europe, but 90% of US streams and rivers have giardia in them.

Not a bacterium, a protozoan...........and yes.......imagine your clown fish with the worst case of the runs ever!!!!! :x

Because we have run off from Mexico in so many of our rivers my biology professor says that 94% of people in Texas will have it at least 3 times during their life.

:x

I'm still waitin' for my first time. hehe. I'll stick to the spring water from up North.

Reefer_Buddha

ya i only remember it because i had giardia once. Horrible sensation to feel like your a.ss is actually trying to LEAVE your body every 30 mins. Ya i would highly recommend not using river water, especially in mountain states after snow melts. giardia central.

Archived