ReefCleaners.org

Whats my next step?

barkingoyster

barkingoyster

Just started setting up my first Nano-reef, well my first s/w tank actually, and wanted some feedback.

10 g AGA

80 watt CSL moonlight

5lbs. LR(soon to be 15lbs. come payday)

20 lbs Agra-alive substrate

Whisper 1 HOB

Jalli 50watt heater

2 Damsels

Some small shrooms and dusters on the rock

Started Cycling 10 days ago, with the HOB filled with media and 10 or so mini bio-balls(also have the heater in the filter). I read .25 ammonia and no nitrites as of yet.

What is my next step? After the additional LR

I was thinking of the AC 300 refugium scenario. Do I need a skimmer? And when/what types of corals and inverts do I introduce(crabs,shrimp).

Any advice would be apreciated. Thank you in advance.

honestly oyster, whats next is just waiting. If you are still measuring ammonia, your cycle is just starting. As jason points out, the bio-balls are counterproductive if you intend to eventually keep corals. Prior to adding the additional liverock, I strongly recommend pulling the bio-balls out. Your liverock fills the function of the bio-balls. After adding the additional rock, don't add any other organisms for at least 3 weeks. If you don't have nitrate, phosphate, and calcium test kits, start saving for those. Feed the fish you currently have as little as possible - otherwise you are simply adding to the ammonia engine, until your bio-filter establishes.

Best of luck - be patient

One thing you do need to ask yourself- are damsels the fish you plan on keeping for a long time. A lot of people get talked into cycling a tank with them. If you plan on taking those out later to add a clown or something else you'll have an incredibly hard time of doing it with a lot of rock in the tank. I would pull those out now when it's easier, a fishless cycle works just fine. If you plan on only keeping damsels, ignore all of this.

barkingoyster

Thank you for all of the input. Bio media is now gone and I have added more live rock. As far as the Damsels, I was very pleased to find out that the fish I wanted were the fish I needed. So, now all I do is wait. Any suggestions on coral types to start with when the cycle is done? And should I opt for a skimmer?

Archived