SaltCritters.com

Will it cycle?

Nanzo

I just redid my tank. i took out all the rocks and sand. sand was in a bucket with fishtanks water. half the rock were covered in tank water. the rest were not able to fit in the bucket. i kept the tanks water in saltwater containers. my sumps deep sand bed was left in there n i kept all the foam prefilters in water because they were filled wit copepods n bacteria. after aquascaping the rocks n puttin the old sand back( i added sum new band sand too) n fillin it wit the old fish tank water, the water seemed to be fine. i tested it n the parameters were all in check. the question is... will there be a cycle again or will the bateria from the old sand, and foam prefilter be enough to avoid cycling??? newb question :mellow:

depending how long the rocks were out of water, you shouldnt see another cycle. since disturbing the sand, i would wash the foam filters once the tank clears up. probably check for nitrates and or ammonia and see if everything is in check.

the rocks were out of the water perhaps maybe 8 hours tops. although there was alot of ditritus in the water, the filter sock to care of it.

nanoreefnate

if there was a detritus release there was probably a MASSIVE RELEASE of Phosphate. this is the factor i would be concerned about right now. not ammonia or nitrate.

usually just moveing 3 rock would cause a fair release of Po4 but a whole tank being redone. i would do a 70% WC and add a phosban reactor to that tank.

i tested yesterday n phosphate was only at .5 ppm on my apitest kit. im running a half pad of poly filter which probably took care of most of it.

Archived