Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Various issues, or, Stupid me.

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

More in the most recent post:

My API Alk kit just registered 13 dkh.

API Calc kit also just read 500ppm.

Salinity is 1.025 using DD Pro salt. Not sure what's up with the tank. Mg was at 1520 a couple days ago - haven't tested since. The test kits are about 3 months old and have worked fine previously. Earlier pH was 7.8 - fuge lights came on at 7 est and I opened some windows for a couple hours and now pH is reading 7.9/8.0 (API - I can never tell exactly).

I know I'm on the fringes of acceptable levels all over - what's up with that?

My API Alk kit just registered 13 dkh.

Too high by 2-3 dKH depending on who you ask.

API Calc kit also just read 500ppm.

IMO, high Ca is never a problem.

I know I'm on the fringes of acceptable levels all over - what's up with that?

What's your fresh, aerated SW look like? Dosing schedule?

Also, API always reads high for me with regard to Ca. By up to 200 ppm in some cases. Have you tried a more quality kit?

dKH: 8-12

Calcium: 350-450 ppm

Magnesium: 1300 - 1500 ppm

Your pH went up because you opened the windows. Fresh air vs CO2 build up in the house.

Deleted User 6
What's your fresh, aerated SW look like? Dosing schedule?

Also, API always reads high for me with regard to Ca. By up to 200 ppm in some cases. Have you tried a more quality kit?

Haven't tested the new batch of salt. I do a 10% change once a week, but with the changes to the tank the new setup is about 75% new water as of last weekend.

Haven't tried a more quality kit. They're expensive. What's the best bang for the buck?

Haven't tested the new batch of salt

You have your orders sir. Now carry them out. :lol:

... with the changes to the tank the new setup is about 75% new water as of last weekend.

Sounds like your salt may be crazy.

Haven't tried a more quality kit. They're expensive. What's the best bang for the buck?

I like Salifert. They aren't big money but their Ca, Alk and Mg kits are quality.

Deleted User 6
You have your orders sir. Now carry them out. :lol:

Tomorrow - it's bedtime.

Sounds like your salt may be crazy.

That would suck. It was an expensive, big bucket of DD H20.

I like Salifert. They aren't big money but their Ca, Alk and Mg kits are quality.

I use the Salifert Mg test. It's a bit unwieldy, imo. But at least it's accurate. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get new kits.

Deleted User 6

Whipping up a new batch of SW. In other news, the two xanthid crab hitchhikers are dying in my tank. I mentioned a small rust issue in another thread. Do slivers of steel wool (very few of them) that are rusting in the tank contain copper that could be killing the crabs? Zoas and snails look fine, and the few SPS in the upper tank look alright (not great, but not dead).

I just dropped a bag of cuprisorb in a high flow area to pull some of the metal out of the water.

I might have to take the false rock wall out of the new tank if the rust is killing things. That would mean draining the stupid thing, taking out all the rocks and pulling the wall out. I guess it's not that big of a deal to see the return pipe and the pump.

All Mg test kits are complicated and unwieldy.

If you think Salifert is bad, you should try Seachems Mg test kit.

Salifert is a cakewalk compared to that one.

I hadn't heard that about API being inaccurate on Ca.

However, I use Salifert for Mg, Ca, Alk, and Ph, and have seen no reason for complaint thus far.

I would be very surprised if your D-D salt was the culprit.

You said you're mixing a fresh batch of water, test it when it's done mixing to see what results you get.

Do you have the top Macroalgae Display on a reverse light cycle from your bottom Reef Display?

If so, I would hope that would stabilize your ph somewhat.

Also, I don't about Cupri-Sorb, but Poly-Filters will change color as they absorb different contaminants from the water.

If they absorb copper, they turn blue.

Deleted User 6

yes, they are on reverse lighting cycles. I'll test the new water and see what's up.

I hate the idea of having to take that false wall out. But something in there is killing both of those crabs which is scaring me.

and cuprisorb is supposed to turn blue too

thanks weet

Deleted User 6

got it - my refrac must have gotten bumped at some point and was uncalibrated. Tank water is at around 1.028. Crap.

Going to try to do a water change tonight to bring it down a point or two. The new saltwater registered 13 dkh, but was at 1.028 so that makes total sense.

I'm such an idiot.

Needreefunds
got it - my refrac must have gotten bumped at some point and was uncalibrated. Tank water is at around 1.028. Crap.

Going to try to do a water change tonight to bring it down a point or two. The new saltwater registered 13 dkh, but was at 1.028 so that makes total sense.

I'm such an idiot.

Keep us posted D.

Lets make sure this is straightened out before the delivery. ;)

Idiot?? nah. Chit happens to us all. Hang in there buddy.

Deleted User 6

yeah, I was going to PM you - I'll let you know later this week how things look. you have my monies now, so you might just get to hold on to the goods for a few more days if I can't get this under control :)

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
New saltwater mixed 24 hrs.:

Sal: 1.025

pH: 8.3

alk: 12

calc: 460

wtf?

Those levels aren't bad at all, it's about the same way my new coral pro salt measures out.

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
alk seems high, but whatever. at least the salinity isn't 1.028 like yesterday.

That's new salt mix though right, mine is always a little high, but I don't mine because my tank is always a little low lol so I feel it balances out.

Needreefunds
yeah, I was going to PM you - I'll let you know later this week how things look. you have my monies now, so you might just get to hold on to the goods for a few more days if I can't get this under control :)

No worries about the monies buddy....a refund is but a mouse click away. ;)

But, we both know you really want the goods :P

Those are fresh mixed params yes?

Have you done the water change yet?

OOh chit, gotta go my clam is laying on its side ???!!! :o :o

Deleted User 6

tank alk is 11. didn't test anything else tonight. I'll test the rest tomorrow. Nothing is looking stressed except the pink birdsnest frag (it might be a goner).

Archived