Innovative Marine Aquariums

instant cycle?

ninhsavestheday

ninhsavestheday

i just put together my tank today. i add 10 pounds of live rock and 8 pounds of sand. i also added some bacteria and oxy-boost that was recommended at aquatic warehouse since my sand wasnt live. a few hours later i tested my water for ph, no2, no3 and ammonia. and according to the result.. its almost done cycling. i used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Test Kits. is this right? can it really cycle that fast?

ph 8.2

ammonia 0

NO2 .25

no3 10

fa912ab0.jpg

ninhsavestheday

jflysmooth, i heard that if you keep the salinity at 1.020 during cycling it would reduce the growth of alage. is that true? im planning on raising it up to 1.025 after im done cycling. should i do that? or should i raise it now?

From what I understand the cycle will take place as things that are on your live rock die and spike the waters. It will take a little while for this to happen. Give it a couple weeks.

ninhsavestheday

ohhhh thanks guys for the feedback! ill wait till tomorrow and see if the water spikes or not. i got the rocks from fishsupply.com. (fully cured).

nano reefin, im from escondido. and you?

Yeah, you may have bought "cycled" rock, but it will still need to be cured if you ordered it online. Fortunatly, it take less time to cure if it was pre-cured. The reason for this is because there will be some die-off from the shipping. And you shouldn't have wasted your money on the bacteria. The live rock had all you needed, and it would be cycled in the same amount of time as your bacteria kit. Sorry to be the one to tell you. HTH.

all i have to say DUHHH

of course on day 1 everything would read O's

please use some common sense

there is no such thing as an instant cycle unless you have a tank that has been up for a few months and you take out the sand and rocks and water and put it in another tank;)

ninhsavestheday

im sorry mattie. i thought a few hours after setting everything up will give me heads up on where i am in my cycling. i guess im just ignorant.

oh and thanks marron.. ghez argh, freaking dealer! but do you think the oxy -boost will speed up my cycling?

yes it may speed up the process(i'm not famialr with oxy-boost brand) but its real benefits will come down the road as introduces a wider variety of bacteria to your system to break down ammonia and nitrites which is a plus :)

"Powered by the oxygen we breath....."

LMAO. Have a beer.....shoot have a case.....find a comfy chair and wait!!!!!

My cycle was over in 6 days....but I waited a month before I added anything.....it's good practice!!!

Archived