Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cycle not starting? help?

FloridaReefguy

FloridaReefguy

My tank has been running for four days now and my water parameters are steady as following:

Salinity 1.030

Ammonia 0

PH 7.8

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Rock is cured and water was from LFS. Any ideas why there is not any kind of cycle yet?

Thanks for helping a newbie!!

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

You salt level is pretty high, shoot more for 1.025-1.026 if your wanting a high salinity level, other than that if the rock is cured, just give it time, 4 days is still early into a cycle.

Feed it a little....if the rock was really deeply cured it may need a little bit of mysis or something to break down and throw some extra nutrients in there to "jump start" it....I used 1/2 of a silverside in my 75....

+1 on the salinity being too high....

You salt level is pretty high, shoot more for 1.025-1.026 if your wanting a high salinity level, other than that if the rock is cured, just give it time, 4 days is still early into a cycle.

+1.............the ph is a little low too. It s/b between 8.0 & 8.3. The cycle will take about a month. While you wait do some research and ask all the question you want. Here's a good read on the cycle process.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...ral_pagesid=102

Militant Jurist
+1.............the ph is a little low too. It s/b between 8.0 & 8.3. The cycle will take about a month. While you wait do some research and ask all the question you want. Here's a good read on the cycle process.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general...ral_pagesid=102

His pH isn't that bad for a tank beginning it's cycle, because the pH tends to be low during the cycle. Once it's done cycling is when you should be concerned if it's still below 8.0.

Sorry for the hi-jack of the thread but i'm in the same boat. Setup my tank 130D RSM 12 days ago. Got 29lbs of cured and established Live rock from my LFS. Been in his tank for more than 2 months. They also gave me water from there tanks also.

My water parameters are: SG 1.025 (portable refrac)

pH 7.8-8.0

Ammonia has been 0 since day 1 (using API SW master test kit)

Nitrite has also been 0 since day 1

Nitrate 20

temp 79-81

I'm all for waiting and being patient but when should I expect the cycle to start? I am not running the lights at all except for occasional viewing of the hitchhikers. Probably an hr a day or so. I also have my protein skimmer off since day 2 of my tank setup. Should I be expecting the algae diatom bloom anytime soon? I don't want to do a 20% water change until I know I am at the end of my cycle and I have a algae bloom so i could add a CUC. Thanks for any advice.

Archived