ReefCleaners.org

70 watt metal halide?????????????

redrocket

What's up fellow nano-reefers? I got a few questions I think yall can solve. I upgraded my 2x36 watt pcs to a 70 watt de hqi 10k.

1. why is my water color a yellowish color? Is it because of the uv blocking glass on the house? (Regent outdoor floodlamp) How can i fix this? Is it bad?

2. Will this much intense lighting bleach my coralline? Will it kill my existing coralline?

Thanks for any help.......

Redrocket,

First, love your name.

Second Run carbon. This will help to some degree

third It's not the glass it's your bulb. What type of DE bulb do you have? Try an AB. They should be more about a 13k

Finally, if you have the PC's use them as well. If you have a 10k MH I suggest 1 Actinic, 1 50/50.

Could cause Coraline bleaching but it will be minimal. Start with shorter photoperiods and raise the bulb higher of the water initially.

I have a catalina. I just talked to someone on the board and he has a ushio (BLV) 20k for sale. Would that be better for more of the actinic look instead of running my pc's. The halide right now is give are take 6-7 inches off water level. I use to run my pc's 10 hours a day, I started with running the metal halide 4 hours and im going to increase gradually. Does this sound ok?

thanks about the name :)

For best growth I would reccomend 10k and PC actinic. 20k Is nice, but it doesn't have the intensity that a 10k does. Catalina bulbs are a bit funky. AB Stands for Aqualine-busche. They are rated at 10k, have great Par and give a bit of a blue hue.

I would up the MH for 5-6 hours until it is on for 10-11 hours a day. I highly recommend the PC/MH route.

JMO.

What do you mean by catalina being funky? Is it the quality of the bulb are the color that it puts out? I've heard alot of people saying they dont like them, is it bad for my corals? If so i'll order a new bulb right now. Thanks

PS Will that color (yellow) from my halide be covered up by adding a 50/50 and actinic

The Bulb is funky as in the quality and color. It is not bad for your corals, there are just bulbs that are better for your corals. Run carbon for 24 hours and add actinic supplementation and you will not see the yellow any longeror it will be definitely lessened. Unless the bulb is a 5500k, which I doubt it is.

Well I think I should order a new bulb because I dont need it crapping out on me. I appreciate all your help. Ill post a pic of the nano soon, its doing very well.....:)

Thanks

(its a 10k)

Originally posted by Jahkaya

Hellolights, but they are expensive.  Ushios are cheaper and give better par, but have a yellow/green appearance.

1 - Ushios are the best bulb on the market.

2 - If a Ushio is yellow/green, there is some serious problem with the bulb. All Ushios are a crisp white with a touch of blue. IMO, Ushio is the preferred bulb of choice. I personally would never own a POS AB again.

3 - There not that expensive.

4 - If your tank is yellow, you need to run some carbon. Or do a water change. Catalina/Ushio bulbs are not yellow. AB bulbs have been yellow/pink everything but white in the past. Check your water.

5 - If you want a 70w 10k Ushio, check the selling forum. Look for the thread. Should be obvious. 54.50 for a Ushio 10k 70w bulb. Doesn't get much better than that.

Good luck.

Kris

No, I know my water levels are fine, just checked them to make sure. Also tank has been setup for over a year and when I put the catalina bulb on there the water looked yellowish. Well guess what I get home yesterday and my halide isn't on so I started checking all the wires, and the bulb has crapped out. Haven't even ran the thing for more then 5 hours. I guess you get what you pay for. (I ordered a ushio last night :))

Archived