Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help with new Aquarium (long)

newnano

I'm very new at this. I've wanted to try my had at saltwater aquariums but was reluctant because I only have room for a 15 gallon tank. Everything I've read mentions not to use anything under 30 gallons, until I found Nano-Reef.com. When I saw 5, 7 and 12 gallon systems there, I was encouraged.

I'm fairly knowledgable in water chemistry and have had freshwater fish for nearly 25 years, so I'm going to give it a try. I'm hoping to have live rock and hopfully 5 maybe 6 fish total in the aquarium. The fish I'm interested in are any combination of the following: Yellowtail Damselfish, Black and White Chromis, Blue Green Reef Chromis and Clownfish.

I have several questions. The first concerns the difference between a reef tank and a saltwater tank. Can some one explain?

The next concerns cycling the tank. I've read of several methods to cycle the tank, i.e. raw shrip and cycling with fish. When I purchased my filter (Skilter 250), substrate, etc. the store owner sold me something called Biozyme. I'm not sure how to use it and not sure what kind of water quality readings I should have after using Biozyme, or when to add fish after using it. Can anyone offer any advice on which cycling method I should use and/or what the water quality readings should be if I use Biozyme. Also when can I add fish.

Lastly, I've also read that there should be some water movement at the top of the tank for gas exchange. I suppose this becomes more critical in smaller tanks since they don't have the surface area that larger tanks have. I supose a power head should be used. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance for the help.Thanks,

Mike

I strongly suggest you head to the articles and read up on reef keeping there. Very informative. http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

as for differences, saltwater tanks are any tank with salt water. Reef tanks are generally saltwater tanks with live rock, live sand, corals and other inverts.

sounds like you bought the tank already and from the sound of biozyme and a skilter, I'm guessing a petland or petco type store sold you the set up.

ditch the biozyme. When you add live rock the thank will cycle and you won't need it. I've never used a skilter but heard many awful things about them. search the boards (search button) for skilter, lots of info will come up.

The other common salt tank is a fish only or a fish only with live rock.

with a hang on back filter (skilter, or other) you will get the gas exchange and surface movement but an additional powerhead or two should be used to get water moving in the lower area of the tank.

go read those articles. lots of info with regards to cycling, water parameters etc.

Sounds like you are describing a FOWLR, as Crakeur points out, a fish only, with live rock tank.

Assuming you already have most of the equipment, including the Skilter, you may want to consider an easy Skilter modification that goes a very long way in quieting what otherwise sounds like a rattlesnake, and eliminates many of the micro bubbles.

Drill through the filter cover directly over the skimmer column. Insert an air hose and attach a wooden air stone, and hook it up to small air pump. You are essentially converting the Skilter from a lousy venturi skimmer, to a passable counter-current skimmer. Given that you plan on focussing on fish at the outset, I personally recommend the skimmer. Other opinions vary. However, if you are impeccable about maintenance and water changes, the relatively innefficient skimmer on the Skilter can be skipped altogether.

Definitely check out the link that Crakeur provided. Cycling is 98% patience, and 2% effort. If you are using quality liverock, neither the biozyme, nor a dead shrimp, is required.

Archived