Top Shelf Aquatics

Emerald crab in my 10g?

darwin604

I'm having a bit of an algae attack in my 10gal right now despite using distilled water, keeping the lights on for 10 hours a day, having multiple snails . . etc. My main problem is slime / bubble algae. I've heard that emerald crabs can take care of this problem (I may be misinformed but thats what I've been told). My questions are: Can I keep an emerald crab in my tank - or is it too small? If so, will it even help with my algae problem.

If its a no-go, anything that will devour the slime / bubble algae would be great so suggestions are welcome.

d.

ps. Tanks specs are 10g, 2 turbos, 4 bumble bees, ocellaris clown, 4 hermits, and a few soft corals - so reef compatibility would be an issue.

Darwin an emerald is always hit or miss,but if you do decide to try one get a small one as bigger ones are kinda useless.This week king-ed has nice small emeralds 5 bux i think! Also try to keep feeding as low as possible right now and stick with lots of W/C's with the distilled water,you should be o.k.

Oh you should get some more snails too,i'd say like 2-3 astreas,and i like ceriths. JMO tho.

Originally posted by MrKrispy

chemi clean for the red slime, was amazing stuff in my tank.  Check out the recent thread on "what eats bubble algae"

Whats chemi clean? Anything would be great . . the bubble algae's okay since theres just abit of it but this slime algae is driving me NUTS! I remove it like every 2 days and patches of it seem to be coming from nowhere . .

d.

Seriously darwin take my advise and stick with less feeding/more wc's and it will vanish all by its self it takes a few weeks but will be the better route.....if it's totally brutal then go chem route on a last effort IMO! Oh and switch to R.O. water it's better than distilled.

I agree with Deacon, only use the chems as a last resort. However if you do reach your wit's end look for Chemi-Clean. Great stuff, it got rid of my cyano problem quickly.

darwin,

Along with the emerald crab, I have used a lawnmower blennie...

This fool went crazy on the algae....tank was spotless in one week......

Then you have to feed the poor bastard......lol

You can always try to pull the bubble algae out, just dont pop them or the spores can spread and cause more bubble algae. What you want to do is rock the bubble back and forth to loosing it up and than give a gently pull with tweazers to remove.

I poped a few bubble algae on accident and now I got more. It doesnt look that bad yet and so far it hasnt been an issue affecting anything.

Deacon: where do you get your RO water from? I can only find distilled locally. I asked for RO at my local supermarket and they looked at me like I was speaking greek.

d.

Archived