SaltCritters.com

LFS RO/DI water 1100 ppm

36and2

Well I just got a new TDS meter today and tested my RO/DI it tested at 1100 ppm WTF! I also tested my tap and it is at 525 ppm. Which is worse using tap at 525 or supposedly RO/DI at 1100 ppm. I am shocked and disappointed at this. Are they knowingly selling water at these levels or is it negligence. I was wondering why the Alk in my new water change water tested at 12 the other day I think this may be in part to it.

this isnt the first time i heard of this. sometimes lsf dont change their filters/membrane when they should and u get the rodi with high tds. in ur case tap might actually be better.

are you sure you didn't buy saltwater?

if he baught sw the tds would register way higher then 1100. so high the tds meter wouldnt be able to read it. maybe they use the same bin for sw and rodi and just dont clean it well enough .

Time for a MaxCap RO/DI system, its the only thing that works well around here with our high TDS plus they are local and give local reefers a special discount. Couldn't live without mine.

What did you bring the water home in and what did you test it in? Did you adjust the TDS meter for high range, most only read to 999 then you have to switch to high range where it reads by 10's and not 1's.

If whatever yoy brought it home in was dirty or has been used for saltwater that may be the problem.

I know with my TDS meter (HM Digital model TDS-3) when dipped in SW the display reads "Err" for error, basically meaning that the TDS of SW is way too high for the meter to read it. Also be careful, SW can damage some meters and has the potential to throw them out of calibration due to the extremely high TDS... That's what HM Digital suggests in the manual for the meter anyways.

Time for a MaxCap RO/DI system, its the only thing that works well around here with our high TDS plus they are local and give local reefers a special discount. Couldn't live without mine.

What did you bring the water home in and what did you test it in? Did you adjust the TDS meter for high range, most only read to 999 then you have to switch to high range where it reads by 10's and not 1's.

If whatever yoy brought it home in was dirty or has been used for saltwater that may be the problem.

I have been bring the water home in 5 gallon jugs which I use only for this purpose. I tested my top off water RO/DI from the previous week which I got from the same place and it tested at 0 ppm which was stored in the same jugs. So my guess is something happened between now and then. This is not the first time though, before the present employee started working there, who I might add has been the coolest guy that has worked there I was having a bad outbreak of algae and did not know why. One day I went in and the new guy said that when he replaced the filters they were disgusting. As I started using the RO/DI water with the replacement filters my algae problem disappeared and now my tank looks immaculate. The bottom line is that I need to stop buying water from others and get an RO/DI for myself thereby enhancing my control over my system.

Yesterday I decided to stop by Spectrapure to check it out and buy a TDS meter luckily I did as if I did not I would have used the bad water in the tank. The meter I bought a Spectrapure reads in three digits then for numbers above a thousand a flashing 10X appears which you use to multiply the number shown by 10.

Is the special discount cheaper then what can be found on Marine depot? I was thinking about getting the Spectrapure Maxpure 90.

With the heat in phoenix what is the max temp which the unit can operate under? My girlfriend had some major flood issues in the kitchen which had to be completely overhauled and she does not want me using the unit in the house. Do you think that it would be ok to use the unit outside at night?

Membranes can operate at up to 113 degrees F. Night time may be OK but they don't like direct sunlight or extreme heat and cold.

Archived