Top Shelf Aquatics

Diatoms are attacking

Volcom

Well I have recently been running the lights around 9 hours a day now and theres some stuff growing on the rocks, the back of the tank, and the sand. It is brown and is starting to cover alot of my rock. There is a very thin layer of it on my sand and some brown spots on the back of the tank. I am pretty sure its iether diatoms but I really have no clue. I couldnt get any worthwhile pictures to help you guys out. (sorry)

I was going to place my first live-stock order next Monday and wanted to know if I should add a clean-up crew or not. What eats diatoms? What happens when they finish off with the diatoms? Thnx

Hang in there. Given your description, everything is proceeding exactly as it should. What you are seeing means that you are doing it right. The bloom will eventually recede. Keep your eye on your water chemistry. Keep nitrates and phosphates in check.

Don't worry about the diatoms! A cleanup crew and time should take care of it.

I too was worried when I had my first diatom bloom, but now I worry about bigger problems like green hair algae and cyano and aiptasia! Ahhh!

Reefer_Buddha

my tank went brown a few weeks ago but now its goin green and soon coralline :). Just get some snails and check your water. You using ro/di? Get calcium levels up.

I'm using distilled water. I have not checked calcium or alkinity yet, but all the other levels are still good. I am pretty sure they are diatoms, but what is the difference between cyano and diatoms?

I don't have a cleaner crew and wanted to order one....

Any Ideas on what and how many I need?

(It's a 12 gallon)

My coralline is getting everywhere now! Even on my glass. Should I just scrub it off?

For cleanup crew I would get:

4 Trocus Grazers

5 Cerith Snails

2 Astrea snails

NO hermit crabs

Archived