Cultivated Reef

Rust in tank - assistance please

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

I just started my new tank and I have noticed that there are tiny particles of metal stuck to the sand that I used for the false rock wall. I believe they came from steel wool that was being used near the wall as the epoxy was drying outside (landlord did it and I didn't realize it until I saw the rust starting to form). There isn't a lot of rust - but I'm not sure how much causes a problem.

Question is, what harm will it cause the tank, and how do I negate that harm (apart from removing the metal because I'm not sure I can get it all)?

Deleted User 6

yeah, I've been using my nimble nano (probably ruined it). I'm going to switch to my magfloat tonight - the magnets are stronger.

if it's just a little rust, (and they are very small fibers of metal) will it just wear off with time? (assuming there will be a little bit left after I do another round of trying to get it off)

run cuprisorb. it removes all DISOLVED heavy metals. won't deal with any flakes tho. metal/rust in tank is never a good thing. I'd be prepared to run the cuprisorb of at least 6 months to be sure its all gone

all i can say is that i had a rusty hook in my rock work for 9 months before i noticed it.....(I was well concealed in the rock. I kept me from having any shrimp. I went through 5 before i found it. So my advice is remove as much as possible. The affects of rust are debatable from what i heard....but the problem lies in the trace elements in the metals that leech out

Deleted User 6

steel wool doesn't have copper in it, I don't think. But if Cuprisorb removed heavy metals, it couldn't hurt. I'll scrub away at the wall tonight to see if I can remove any of the visible fragments and will order the cuprisorb.

I hope it helps.

Archived