ReefCleaners.org

Arranging the LR

snookface1

I'm arranging the LR in a 15 gal tank, and have a few questions?

My LFS only has large pieces, do I break it up with a hammer and chisel? Can I just stack it up to make a nice arrangement I like. The LFS told me to glue the pieces together. He told me to lay the tank on its back and arrange them and glue them down. If I do that I won't be able to change it latter when I get tired of the arrangement.

Yeah you can bust it up. It doesn't take much though... I needed to break up a large ##### and wanted some rubble pieces to mount frags on. So I went outside, wrapped a large piece with a dish towel, smacked it with a hammer expecting it to crack like concrete... The friggin' thing turned to mush! HA!

Use a screwdriver or chisel and lightly tap out where you want it to crack. I have another large piece I'm going to bust up next time I do some serious aquascaping. Keep in mind, you won't hurt anything by breaking it up.

Epoxy also works to build a reefscape. It can always be rebroken when you want to. Electrical tie straps can be used if there are holes in the pieces to run them through.

I'd work out a structure on your table top and not turn the tank sideways. Just mark out the dimensions of the tanks floor, and stack a few times to see what you like. I once moved some pieces around in the tank, decided I didn't like it, then couldn't figure out how I had them to get them back together!

Have fun!

I just recently helped my friend set up his aquascape for his tank. We cut a piece of carboard out the size of the tank bottom and arranged many different forms out of the LR. For each one we took a pic with his camera(had quit a few formations). then we took the film to the 1 hour and looked at all the different possibilities. In the end we combined two of the pictures and came up with a kick A$$ Aquascape.

As for glueing them : we Placed the larger pieces of LR on the bottoms, then used some silicon for the smaller pieces that we made terraces and overhangs with, If you want to change it just pull off the silicon.... Looks Supremo!

Archived