SaltCritters.com

Help Tank 7.8 dkh new salt water 12-13 dkh

36and2

I use Red Sea Coral pro salt, I was always under the impression that the dkh was in the 7's. I tested the new mixed water and it tested in the 12-13 range using a Salifert test kit. I tested 2 more times to make sure it was not me messing up the test. I then disposed of the water, cleaned the bucket, and used a diffferent pump to mix the new water which I made up. I tested it the 2nd batch today and the same thing dkh 12-13 range?

Is this normal and is it safe to add to my tank (20g) 3 gallons salt water which is in the 12-13 dkh range and my tank being around 7.7-8.0 dkh?

Well, 7-8 is a little low and 12-13 is a little high, so the combo might be a good mix.

Like you, I'm surprised it's testing that high though.

Well, 7-8 is a little low and 12-13 is a little high, so the combo might be a good mix.

Like you, I'm surprised it's testing that high though.

So do you think it is OK to add without worry to shocking the system?

Yes.

You could always wait 1/2 hr to 1 hr. between adding each gallon.

Is the tank not all the way full or something, or is this a Water Change?

Yes.

You could always wait 1/2 hr to 1 hr. between adding each gallon.

Is the tank not all the way full or something, or is this a Water Change?

Water Change

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I don't think you'll have a problem, I also use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and my API test kit also read 13dkh, 540ppm calcium on new salt mix, and my tank sits about 7-9dkh. I've always loved Red Sea Coral Pro Salt because of it's levels I hear alot of people complain about low 6dkh but I've yet to encounter a bad batch which is what I think others have got or maybe they purchased Red Sea Salt (Regular) and not Coral Pro.

PS - I always let my mix sit in a bucket with a power head mixing it for at least 24 hours ahead of time of a water change.

I don't think you'll have a problem, I also use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and my API test kit also read 13dkh, 540ppm calcium on new salt mix, and my tank sits about 7-9dkh. I've always loved Red Sea Coral Pro Salt because of it's levels I hear alot of people complain about low 6dkh but I've yet to encounter a bad batch which is what I think others have got or maybe they purchased Red Sea Salt (Regular) and not Coral Pro.

PS - I always let my mix sit in a bucket with a power head mixing it for at least 24 hours ahead of time of a water change.

I also let mime mix for at least 24 hours. I have tested my change water months ago and it has come up in the 7 dkh range using Red Sea Coral pro. There is a comparison of salt mixes some where, cannot find it and if I remember correctly they also tested in the 7 dkh range. I have never had my calcium test as high as yours though mine is around 430 ppm. I keep my salinity at 1.025

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt
I also let mime mix for at least 24 hours. I have tested my change water months ago and it has come up in the 7 dkh range using Red Sea Coral pro. There is a comparison of salt mixes some where, cannot find it and if I remember correctly they also tested in the 7 dkh range. I have never had my calcium test as high as yours though mine is around 430 ppm. I keep my salinity at 1.025

Yeah I also keep my salinity at 1.025, the bucket I have now is a five gallon that makes 175gal of saltwater, my previous bucket also had 13dkh, not sure of the calcium, not sure what size bucket you have now, but it may be related to that or maybe they just have bad batches and some real good ones, I only recently started testing levels on new saltwater but from now on Im gunna test every bucket I get from them and maybe even buy some of the smaller buckets and see what levels I get with them.

Yeah I also keep my salinity at 1.025, the bucket I have now is a five gallon that makes 175gal of saltwater, my previous bucket also had 13dkh, not sure of the calcium, not sure what size bucket you have now, but it may be related to that or maybe they just have bad batches and some real good ones, I only recently started testing levels on new saltwater but from now on Im gunna test every bucket I get from them and maybe even buy some of the smaller buckets and see what levels I get with them.

Update:

Did the water change nothing negative happened, added slowly. My dkh went up to a more desirable level out of the 7 range and into the 8 before dosing! I have been using the smaller 55 gallon bucket. I am going to start testing each new bucket right when I start to use it and then the bottom half when I reach that to see if the bucket is uniform.

Thanks for the input :D

Archived