inTank Media Baskets

New box IO Reef Crystals

usnret

New box of IO Reef crystals mixed for 24hr Sp 1.025 temp 78.7 KH 1 (one) YEA 1 tested 3 times, CA 300. I had already done one water change with new box and a day later tested tank and my KH was down to 7 had been runing 9-10, Ca down to 340, had been runing 380-400.

Yes I will slam E-mail IO.

My question: can I doctor this batch of salt with baking soda and liq ca or dump the batch?

Did you shake the bucket or box? Try shaking the crap out of it to make sure that it didn't settle, make some new water and test again. If you get the same results then you know for sure.

I did not James Bond it but I did stir it for a good 10 min. and yes 2nd batch using zero TDS RO/DI was the same.

Got a bucket of RedSea Coarl pro yesterday afternoon mixed a batch tested this morning Sp 1.025 Kh 10 and Ca 440. I be slowly switchen salt.

There are several threads on RC about bad Reef Crystal batches. Everything from low cal and alk to brown sludge after mixing.

I tried looking back to find them but couldn't, maybe someone else can?

• 5 weeks later...

On Aug the 17th I called Aquarium Systems and was directed to send a sample (2 cups) and a detailed discription of the problem and how I mixed and tested, also sed the UPC code and the shipping cost so on Aug 19th I sent the sample. when I got home today there was a box with 2 25gal box's of reef crystals on the front pourch. The only thing in the box other than the salt was a packing slip nothing as to what they found problem was . I'm still using Red Sea Coral Pro seems to be good salt mix. My question is what to do with the reef crystals?

Archived