ReefCleaners.org

Can I use this?

Kluver

Rather than use an overflow box or drill a bulkhead in my 20gal tank, can I just use the U tube (from a old filter) as a way to bring water down to my refugium sump?

I'll probably have to the U-tube a little so its not too deep in tank to prevent overflow of the sump in case of power outage. The return will probably be hooked to a rio PH to match the gals per house taken by the U-tube. I haven't seen this done before so i'll ask her to make sure first.

Thank you.

OK.....let's talk about that power outtage......you have answer for how you'll keep it from siphoning out your main tank, but what happens when the power comes back on....and you lost your siphon.......main tank overflow.....BIG TIME!

How can this problem be any different than a wet/dry filter or any other person who has a sump (w/ overflow box only and not bulkhead)...correct me if I wrong but I remember that wet/dry loses siphoning power if the water level gets below box...am i correct?

Well....I have a headache.....my experiments aren't working...and my wife isn't making dinner tonight!!! Oh the tank.....:)

Gravity overflows are ALWAYS going to be a potental problem in terms of power outtages, unless you put the PH's on an APC. You'd be better off having the elevated sump/fuge and letting gravity flow back to the main tank.....or drill and install a bulkhead.

you can drill the main tank in top corner and make your own surface skimmer box with some pieces of acylic or buy a surface skimmer from some where. CPR makes a small enough one but think it almost $80

if you drill the tank and built your own box if the power goes out it can only drain the level of the lowest point of over flow of the skimmer box and there is no sipon

hob skimmer box for like cpr the siphon empty to another box which over flows to a down tube this box has an area which holds enough of water which prevents the siphon from running dry in the event of a poweroutage

Plus...the hang on siphons don't break siphon when the power goes off. The have boxes on both sides of the glass....the outer one having a baffel to hold water above the opening of the siphon tube,,,,,

Dickie is right! I knew I had seen a set up "somewhere" where the siphon wouldn't break, didn't want to open my mouth and have to shove my foot in it! The problem with them, is those boxes are ok for a big tank, but huge for a nano......

Archived