ReefCleaners.org

MH hood for 20L?

cam9457

• 3 weeks later...

I want to bring this thread back for discusion because i have the same question also.

I was going to go with the 30" custom sealife 2X65 watt PC's w/ moonlite hood (sharp looking hood), but i think i've decided to save up and go for metal halide right from the begining.

What do other people use on their 20Ls (or even 29 gallons i supose seeing as how they have the same footprint) as far as metal halides go?

oh! and what types of accintic(sp sorry) light should accopany a MH hood?

Look at last months Tank of the Month,

Its a 20 long.

Build your own canopy, its fun, rewarding, and looks better than anything you could buy.

HTH

well... i only just started looking into MH's so i don't know alot of the different pros and cons. should i get one blub or two? i was thinking 1 pendent 175 watt or 250 watt in the middle, and just not putting really light needy corals on the edges.

what color spectrum is the best? i've heard that 10K is the best color wise (blue white) but corals keep thier color better with 6500K and then supplement actinics?

what do you guys think?

my budget will be between $250-$300 for lights so is this even possiable?

Yeah its possible for $250-300..

Best/cheapest to get some sort of retrofit and build your own hood.

If not you can always buy a used one, or you could get one of those cheapo corallife bell pendants for around that price... I noticed championlighting is still selling there "dents and scratches" coralife 175w bell pendant +10k coralife bulb for $155.

I wouldn't exactly trust it though :P, but who knows .:

I have been trying to find a hood also, don't want pendants. Most hoods are ugly 70's woods or black. Why can't tank furniture at least come in to the 90s?

Hiya everyone! Well after reading previous messages posted... for the past 5 hours! I think I've read enough nano reef info to explode! :blink: I've absorbed most of it, but feel I will have to return to futher my knowledge. Thank you to all that have posted heree!!:)

I have a brand new, just filled today, 20L...as well as a 2 week old 10 with snails and a few crabs. My 20 happens to competely hoodless so far and my 10 has a 10000k so I'm in the market for 2 complete light setups. I have some electronic skills and know the diff between + -, etc. but is building a hood setup worth all the trouble(so it seems) over the manufactured power compacts? I'm unsure of what I want to do...???

:P Jeff

Archived