inTank Media Baskets

halide Q's

Spencer

From cooljackal post:

Better Growth...........................Better Coloration

[-----------------------------------------------------------]

6500K..................10000K.......................20000K

Which Temp gives the best "lines" in thge water?

In what way do the bulbs degrade over time? Does the Kelvin value decrease?

Also, How much should I expect to pay for a Coralife Pendant Fixture>? My LFS quoted me $480 CDN for pendant, 20K bulb and ballast. This sounds like a bit much to me.

TIA

Spencer

Hey man, I'm still new at the reef scene but I have done my fair share of researching. After looking around and talking to a few people I've found that the 10000K and 20000K bulbs look really nice (i.e give more of an actinic look with shimmering) BUT they don't have as long of life as the 6500K because of the slight drop-off in color overtime. So you end up replacing the bulb more often. But a lot of people use 10000K and 20000K so I guess if it works for you then go for it.

And about the pendant, you may want to check a few other places(www.hellolights.com etc), because 400 seems a bit much.

Well, what I'm planning on doing is starting it like around 20" or higher depending on the intensity of the 6500K. Then see how the corals etc acclimate to it. I'll bring it down slowly if more light is needed. You probably want to watch out for bleaching etc because the light might be too much.

Archived