Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which pump?

snookface1

I'm researching the equipment for a new 15 gal nano tank. I'm planning to add two pumps, which ones are the best. I've read about the RIO pumps (although I have a 2100 in my 55 gal that is working fine). And what about a wave (something) to control them.

I ordered the 95w fixture from Hellolights, and still need to get the pumps and heater.

What's a HOB filter, I haven't seen reference to it yet. Also you like power heads over standard submersible pumps. With the pumps you suggested it would be 250 gal per hour. Is that too much for a 15 gal?

I just setup a 15-gallon long tank this weekend and have a Maxi-Jet 900 supplying my AquaFuge. HOB stands for hang on back; I’m using an AquaClear HOB filter with a 200gph flow. This is just about a 30x total flow rate which seems about right to me.

My AquaFuge is my Refugium. ;) Although I know what you’re asking. My HOB is actually an AC300 with an AC200 impeller. I use it for flow, but I’ve put a cut-off Lee’s Skimmer in it as well.

I agree with the other peeps here in not using the filter cartridges for long periods of time (allowing it to become a biological filter). The oxygen rich environment of a power filter becomes a nitrate factory if cartridges are left in too long.

In addition to flow, a HOB filter gives you a place to put media (carbon, PhosGuard…) in a media bag, breaks the water’s surface, provides a different type of flow than produced by a powerhead, increases the volume of water…

*** EDIT ***

You can also use the Wave Timer with just one powerhead. Experiment with the placement of your LR, HOB, and powerhead(s) until your satisfied with the flow.

Archived