Coral Vue Hydros

What do you guys fill the these meda baskets with

ta2smitty

Filter floss should always be on top for easy maintenance. This way the media basket does not have to be removed ever few days to change. The rest is up to you. Some popular selections are:

Floss

Purigen

Chemi Pure (elite)

Floss

Chaeto

Chemi Pure (elite)

Floss

You name it

You call it

some media selections are user choice depending on what they stock in the tank or want to achieve.

What's a good way to keep the chaeto from getting free and clogging up pumps or taking over the main tank? I've got a JBJ 12DX right now and have to keep the chaeto in a media bag. I'm upgrading soon and in planning I'm trying to prepare something to keep the chaeto somewhat confined. Some of the media baskets (Cadlights 22g) are not completely enclosed and the eggcrate will let quite a bit of the chaeto potentially work it's way out. I suppose I could take a piece of acrylic and drill some small holes in it or use some mesh. Thoughts?

The media baskets that are not closed in are that way by design. They use the front and rear of the tank walls to box it in. The 4 sided racks are this way because of the chamber design. They have to fit into top molding pieces but once inside the chamber it is deeper than these moldings.

Chaeto is clumpy and in a chamber should stay together in a ball. Any confined area with holes for water flow would work for you. Acrylic with holes, soap dish. Eggcrate or take two pieces of egg crate and stagger them to fill in the gaps. I use 1/2" crate on all my racks and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

• 2 months later...

Archived