SaltCritters.com

Tunicates?

tylernt

Just started a new 10g. These are on the back of my "base rock", which has displayed more 'pods and life than my more expensive "live rock", grrr.

Anyway, my first thought was retracted aipstasia. However, no tentacles have shown themselves for several days. They look like tiny heads of cauliflower. They are very small, less than a 1/4". After doing a bit of research, I think perhaps they are tunicates. The upper left and lower right are top views of a single specimen, the others are side views of larger colonies.

Opinions?

Where is your base rock from.
The LFS guy said something about Tonga or near Tonga, but I wouldn't hold much faith in that. Rocks from different places tend to have certain life forms on them?

looks like a sponge to me. the side view kinda looks like tunicates but the closeness and overall compact size makes me think sponge. birdy's got a point, they should be readily identifiable after they grow a little more.

Well of course diff species, but usually some areas are more prone to growing certain types of life, while others may offer a much better environment for another, i.e. tunicates and sponges. Let em grow. Neither will be immediatley detrimental. I have a few different patches growing out. One green patch started out looking like tunicates, and now looks more like a sponge.

Archived