SaltCritters.com

Plate Coral Health?

rayd8s

I've had a short tenacle pink plate for around 3 months now. It had been doing great, tentacles expanding, eating regularly.

Three days ago it began to develop white spots on its top. It almost looked like something precipitating out of the water and falling on it. It's also slimming more frequently and more copiously. It still inflates to twice its size but it is "lumpy"

(inflated fat in spots, but then a large dip) kinda like this ~~, not uniform anyway.

Water:

Topoff RO/DI

Sal 1.025

Temp 79 - 80

Amn 0

Trites 0

Trates >.2 but <.5

pH 8.0 ( weekly water change 20% today, probably higher now)

Calc 360 -- still dosing to bring up to acceptable levels

Anyone have these problems with plates? Should I take it out immediately? Is there hope yet?

Please post your alk levels. Don't move it yet or do anything to disturb it, it bould be a phase. What else is in the tank, what does it eat, is it on the sand or rock?

Alkalinity is on the low side of normal-- no exact value, using RedSea which only has a color chart which goes in gradients from low-normal-high.

Plate is on the sand. Eats thawed brine (catches itself via current) or Mysis which I target feed once a week. I've also seen it eat a Pod.

Other inhabitants =

Frogspawn

Green buttons

Chili coral

Pulsing Zenia

various Rics

various zoos

GSP

Clove coral

yellow polyps

Pepp shrimp

Clown

Yellow Tail Damsel

Green Chromis

snails/hermits

First, to be helpful the only reasons my plate coral ever did that was because I f'd up the salinity or when I used chemi-clean. LPS corals do not like chemi-clean AT ALL.

Secondly to be myself,

If you kill a plate coral then you really (suck) have a problem in your tank. I have put my plate coral through hell and it keeps on growing. I think they are the hardiest corals available. Good luck.

Thanks Acoustic. Your (harsh) but realistic advice is taken into consideration.

I don't think its dead or dying. It still inflates to outrageous size and is still eating... Salinity is stable and I've never used Chemi-Clean or any other cleaner.

I think the Peppermint is walking on it while gathering food. This would account for the excess slime the plate is producing (defense mechanism). So I've moved the plate away from the Pepps' hiding cave since he doesn't wander much past it.

What type of hell has your plate gone through? Just curious.

Thanks

Maybe it will come out of it, my first green plate has wierd phases. I always thought it was just moody. But I don't ever like to see white spots on a coral, that is not normally a good sign.

Archived