SaltCritters.com

Bubble Tip Anemone and fish?

stevey87

I purchased a BTA a few days ago and it seems to be doing great. Eating krills and today it's very big. Last night I noticed one small green chromis disappeared and can't find it this morning either and the BTA looks bigger than before. Is it possible for BTA to kill and eat small live fish?

I had this problem of small fish disappearing before but I found it in back chamber. This time I really can't find it.

most definitely..if the chromis wandered too close the BTA then most likely its been digested already :) also check around on the floor to make sure the fish didnt jump. I dont assume chromis are big jumpers but any fish can jump I guess. Some people feed their BTA small silver sides so its possible your chromis became lunch.

Two reliable SW LFS people I talked to said that usually green chromis fish will stay away from anemones if they are aware of the danger but I guess mine was too young to know. I checked everywhere around the tank also. I don't think it's a mantis shrimp although I keep hearing clicking sounds sometimes. It would be a big coincidence that the mantis shrimp kills a fish right after I get my BTA. If that's the case I gotta admit the mantis shrimp is smarter than me.

It's really hard to find specific info on this so I'm gonna ask. Which fish are 99% compatible with BTA's. What I mean is, which fish doesn't get hurt by the anemone or is very aware of the danger?

I have few Aptasias in my tank as well. If it came in contact with my BTA, who is stronger?

Kill those Aptasia before they get out of control. They breed like rabbits. Hot (as in boiling) water works just as well as Joe's. Just make sure you know where its going to hide in its hole and can squirt directly into the hole to get it when you go to squirt it.

As to feeding the nem... Stop with the krill. It is a fish eater primarily and not a shrimp eater though it can eat shrimp. Go with silversides or if it is bleached/small/unhealthy the get raw shrimp from your super market that has been de-veined and had the shell removed as it will be harder on a sick nem to digest shell and bone. If the nem is < 4" then go with about a 1/4" to 1/2" piece and if its > 4" then go with about a 1" piece two to three times a week.

A happy well fed nem will be much less likely to move on you than one that is hungry.

I'm not sure if this is just my imagination but I have F Dried krills and I don't think the BTA seems to like it but after the krill has been rejected and been softened up a bit the BTA likes it. The LFS that sold me this BTA told me I can get all in one seafood pack for cheap price at big Asian markets so I should try that. I should do those silversides. I hope they're cheap.

As to feeding the nem... Stop with the krill. It is a fish eater primarily and not a shrimp eater though it can eat shrimp. Go with silversides or if it is bleached/small/unhealthy the get raw shrimp from your super market that has been de-veined and had the shell removed as it will be harder on a sick nem to digest shell and bone. If the nem is < 4" then go with about a 1/4" to 1/2" piece and if its > 4" then go with about a 1" piece two to three times a week.

Do you have a link to document this info? I've never read/heard that before. BTW, my RBTA's love krill and have no problem eating thawed whole krill.

Do you have a link to document this info? I've never read/heard that before. BTW, my RBTA's love krill and have no problem eating thawed whole krill.

Take a look at the website Karens Rose Anemones. It has a wealth of info on BTA's

I usually feed new nems silversides about half the width of their mouth to start with. I increase size from there. Once it is greater than 6 inches they can usually handle a full sized silverside, but I generally fold them over and kind of mash them with my forceps to make it easier on the nem to ingest. I do occasionally feed thawed table shrimp that I shell. I also mash these a bit too. I will also feed fresh mussels (not the freshwater kind) occasionally.

IRT the krill a good way to see if the nem is getting full benefit from what it is eating or whether you are feeding it too large of a food is to watch it poop. If you can recognize what it is coming back out it is probably too big and can't be digested properly or it is having trouble dealing with a carapace or scales/bones because it is sick or weak. At that point go back to smaller sized food and mash it a bit before feeding.

I don't recommend any freeze dried foods for anemones.

-Prof

To answer your other question, Bangaii Cardinals will hang out near anemones for protection in the wild and this observation has been observed in captivity.

-Prof

As to feeding the nem... Stop with the krill. It is a fish eater primarily and not a shrimp eater though it can eat shrimp

I guess I should have been more specific. This^^^

Take a look at the website Karens Rose Anemones. It has a wealth of info on BTA's

Yes I am familiar with her site.

I usually feed new nems silversides about half the width of their mouth to start with. I increase size from there. Once it is greater than 6 inches they can usually handle a full sized silverside, but I generally fold them over and kind of mash them with my forceps to make it easier on the nem to ingest. I do occasionally feed thawed table shrimp that I shell. I also mash these a bit too. I will also feed fresh mussels (not the freshwater kind) occasionally.

IRT the krill a good way to see if the nem is getting full benefit from what it is eating or whether you are feeding it too large of a food is to watch it poop. If you can recognize what it is coming back out it is probably too big and can't be digested properly or it is having trouble dealing with a carapace or scales/bones because it is sick or weak. At that point go back to smaller sized food and mash it a bit before feeding.

-Prof

-Prof

You are agreeing with me that krill/shrimp is fine and I agree that shelling them is helpful for sick nems:)

Ooops. I didn't mean to quote you. The info for was for the OP. Sorry. :D Hand Arthritis + Computer = a real pain in the fanny sometimes. :P

-Prof

Ooops. I didn't mean to quote you. The info for was for the OP. Sorry. :D Hand Arthritis + Computer = a real pain in the fanny sometimes. :P

-Prof

:lol:

Karen's site. I just read through the whole thing again yesterday and that's where I came across it. It was either in the feeding section or something similar. I was surprised myself actually as I also would feed krill without too much problem, though I did notice something similar to hawk pellets after a few days coming out of the nem...

Per request... Links:

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/feedingyourbta.htm

And quotes:

Mysis shrimp is an ok food for someone who can not find

Silversides, but it is not the right food for them.

As I have stated, Silversides are the preferred food for them.

But at times, they are so weak from starvation and or bleaching that they can not digest fish with bones and skull.

because I have many small Anemone buds that are just to small to handle anything with bones or scales.

So... There you go.

Karen's site. I just read through the whole thing again yesterday and that's where I came across it. It was either in the feeding section or something similar. I was surprised myself actually as I also would feed krill without too much problem, though I did notice something similar to hawk pellets after a few days coming out of the nem...

As to feeding the nem... Stop with the krill. It is a fish eater primarily and not a shrimp eater though it can eat shrimp

I read it again yesterday as well and I still do not see anything about nems being primarily fish eaters or not feeding krill. Perhaps you have confused this info with some other anemone? Or this is only the case with sick nems? FWIW, I have never fed silversides, but have fed mostly krill and occasionally fresh fish, shrimp and oysters. I'd speculate that any of these foods are fine.

Archived