ReefCleaners.org

Anemones-i want one I want one I want one I want one I want one!

Iphantom

I was looking at the nano reef of the month and I saw that gil had an Anemone and I really want one

whats a good starter anenome?

does anyone have any links to care for anemones?

will they sting the corals?

how and what do I feed it?

what about the pink tip anemone? I really like that one.

what are your opinions?

-Matt

Originally posted by Iphantom

what are your opinions?

A shorter signature?

Beleive it or not, I would do a rose. Hardy, colorfull and some stay a descent size.

I'm about to pick up a bubble tip myself. They're not too expensive, fairly hardy, and if ya want - they're a good choice if you wanna get a clownfish to pair it up with.

d.

Hit the search button.......... Seriously.

The questions in your first post have been beaten to death around here over and over, so there is plenty of opinion to be found without opening yourself up to the coming flames.

That is a Heractis Magnifica. Unless its a healthy specimin and you know all the requirements - It is going to die within a week or 2.

Good luck.

Our anenome is a total pain in the butt. It has itself lodged in the back of the tank where it is basically NOT VISIBLE. The reason this is a pain is because I have to remove the darn hood to feed it since there are no holes in the back of the tank. One day I will probably give it to a friend with more space since it is so hidden in our tank.

Just remember if you put an anenome in your tank it goes where it wants, and you can't control where it ends up.

Gil

ps. the only reason I ended up with this anenome is because it was given to me (like our monti) to try it out by a local reefer.

after doing some research I decided not to get one

its hard enough to maintain a nano-especially with a scooter bleeny in it so I think adding an anemone is too much-at least at the level I am at now

BTW gil -I started my tank last December and its not only my first nano its also my first saltwater tank

and I have been to your site several times-it has been on of my main inspirations for my tank-and even at one point when I almost gave up-looking at your site helped me stay with it

so -thanks

also gil-I have a couple of questions

I know you used to have green stipped gobies-I am curious how are they in a nano? are they active are they out alot? do you think they would form a relationship with a tiger pistol shrimp?

also are you keeping maxima clams and lps?-how under that light-I have the same light and I am told its considered low wattage for my tank size

-Matt

AbSoluTc I was assured it is a Heteractis Malu and it IS a healthy specimin that is doing fine.

Instead of just putting a statement like "It is going to die within a week or 2" why not be a bit more constructive and give reasons behind your views.... That's IF no know what your talking about!!!

Well you were assured wrong. Heres why -

Examples of Heteractis anemones include:

Heteractis magnifica, an Indo-Pacific anemone variety, having a very strong color on the body (usually Purple for the Sri Lankan types) with quite long tentacles. This is the most striking specimen of the whole Heteractis family. This anemone is often referred to as the "ritteri" anemone, or Radianthus ritteri, and sometimes sold by the common name of "Sebae Anemone", although as we shall see later, this may be a misnomer in terms of common name.

Indeed, although this is what many hobbyists accept as the Sebae anemone, not all of them are in agreement with this statement and some view Heteractis crispa as the Sebae anemone. This is yet another reason for sticking to scientific names and not common names. It avoids confusion and errors.

Heteractis malu, with shorter tentacles and a sturdier body (previously called Discosoma malu). Heteractis malu is perhaps the least spectacular of all the Heteractis varieties. It is very often imported and can be found in large numbers in pet stores. It can be kept in invertebrate aquariums but it is recommended that, when doing so, no other anemones are placed in the same tank. Nettling or the exudation of toxins may affect this anemone. For instance, adding a Carpet anemone in addition to H. malu would mean the end of the latter in a short manner of time. H. malu has another drawback: not many clowns will form symbiotic associations with it.

Heteractis crispa, (previously known as Radianthus kuekenthali) with numerous long tentacles and a wide to very wide oral disc. This anemone can at times be confused by stores with Entacmaea quadricolor. The resemblance can be sufficient to justify this mistake (see later). H. crispa is a beautiful specimen for any aquarium. Again, kept alone, it can be added to an invertebrate aquarium (see remarks above). The number of tentacles can be so great that they are all entangled.

Heteractis aurora, (previously known as Actinia aurora) with tentacles of varying length, shorter nearer to the mouth opening, but generally short anyway. The anemone has a stocky type body stem that usually does not extend to any great length. It is, in my opinion, not a very attractive specimen, as the photos illustrate.

The Sebae anemone (Heteractis malu) can be cream, brown, gray green, purple, or yellow (with dyes). It sometimes has magenta tips with white rings. The oral disc is sparse with tentacles, that are short and stubby.

Heteractis malu, with the white rings may resemble H. aurora or when the tentacles are extended, it may look exactly like M. doreensis

Heteractis malu is an anemone that hosts certain species of fish. Among the fish that have been seen hosted by this species are: Amphiprion clarkii. Despite the common name "Delicate anemone", after settling, it is very hardy (particular Hawaii specimens). It is a good choice, but place it in the sand, not on a rock!

What you have is a Heteractis Magnifica. Research will fill you in on why they don't live long. HOWEVER, your specimin does look quite healthy. I do hope you research your INVESTMENT and look at the proper ways to care for such a great anemone. If you don't, it would be a very bad thing.

Heteractis Malu - Common name, Sebae

marinedepotlive_1756_1969865

Heteractis Magnifica - Common name, Ritteri

MagnificaAnemone_400rev.jpg

Any questions?

I'd only do Tulip Anemones. They're considered pests in some cases because they so readily produce. But, they're colorful.

Flower Anemones (try searching on the forum) are also apparantly pretty hearty and rather colorful.

There's also Condys, but I know a gent who has one and would rather flush it than keep dealing with it.

Tulips, again, are my vote. They're pretty, relitavely small, and readily survive to the point of annoyance.

(then again, I have an Aiptasia in my tank because it's purple)

-Sumbel.

Archived