Top Shelf Aquatics

strage alge that I can NOT get rid of....

Iphantom

I have this red alge stuff since the begining of my tank

I am soo fed up with it each time I try to remove some more starts to grow even though I chould swear that none of it got loose in the water

does anyone know what it is--its the red stuff in the picture of my blue shrooms and the king hermit in the top right corner

and if you can see is one of the pics the stringy purple stuff is just as bad

take alot at my other post-(new pics of my tank)

and let me know what it is and if there is a way to get rid if it and if it is a danger to my corals(smothering)

thanks

-Matt

The photo is hard to make out, but I think I know what you've got. It's a clustering red-with-purple-tint macroalgae that is common on Florida live rock. It grows in cylindrical segements, which branch rapidly.

I actually like it, but to each his own.

Emerald crabs will eat it, at least mine will. They mow it down every once in a while but it comes back. This is not bad stuff. It's not aggressive and it's actually removing nitrates from your water. So, unless you can't stand the look of it for some reason, don;t worry too much.

I did not see the pic.. but maybe you have redcarpet algae... spreads like wildfire and is such a nusence. Had a case of that in the tank at work a month ago.. We cured it with some stuff from the lfs, and some calcium.. tank looks great now.. You might to check it out.. Like I said,, I did not see the pic

I didn't see the pic. But I think I had the same thing. Try looking up sea-grapes. Its red bubble algae right? I actually had the scientific name worked out. Search on RC for red bubble algae in the thread titles.

I had multiple emeralds that wouldn't eat it. It never grew on the glass, but covered rocks. The only problem is that it would grow around my ricordias and zoanthids and prevent them from spreadng. I've heard of emeralds mowing it down. One thing I haven't tried that i think would work is a tuxedo urchin.

Originally posted by xxaquanutxx

I did not see the pic.. but maybe you have redcarpet algae... spreads like wildfire and is such a nusence.  Had a case of that in the tank at work a month ago.. We cured it with some stuff from the lfs, and some calcium.. tank looks great now.. You might to check it out.. Like I said,, I did not see the pic

What kind of stuff did you use to get rid of the red algae?

Archived