Top Shelf Aquatics

How To Frag Zoas

corallineadam

Adam,

As you know I have gotten a ton new frags, is there a certain time period when it may be to late to take off the plugs? I would love to start pulling the larger ones off the plugs and putting them all on a piece of LR, or one huge tile in the sand. (more so the LR Rubble.)

Just be careful not to overstress the zoas if they're recently fragged by doing it too soon. Give it some time to establish itself on the frag plug.

• 2 weeks later...
corallineadam

thx 4 the pics JM!

and yes, catastrophi is right, its not nice to stress out your frags by poking prodding and relocating them... just let them be for a little bit before you bug them up again

remember, fragging itself is stressful ion the animals, then shipping and reacclimating to a new system -- these guys are under A LOT of stress! let em be ;)

I did find that out,

kept moving them but 6 of them are doing well.

My tank got some temp spikes and killed some of them.

Always have a stable tank before fragging :)

• 4 weeks later...
I did find that out,

Cool "How to" instructions. Now next time it would be cool if you shoot a vid and posted the link to Youtube unless we can do vids here.

• 4 weeks later...

Great write up!! What type of glue should I purchase for fragging? More importantly, what kind and does Lowes/Home D have it on their shelves?

Great write up!! What type of glue should I purchase for fragging? More importantly, what kind and does Lowes/Home D have it on their shelves?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure any of the GEL super glue is fine. Off brand, "super glue" brand, whatever. all basically the same. You could probably use the liquid stuff too but i don't know. Plus the gel kind if alot easier to work with. (and less likely to glue your hands together)

corallineadam

sorry for the late replys guys, i havent checked this thread in a few days at least :P

Cool "How to" instructions. Now next time it would be cool if you shoot a vid and posted the link to Youtube unless we can do vids here.

great idea!! i think i will def do this for my next how to frag thread on SPS fragging techniques.

get super glue GEL they have it at most grocery stores, def at hardware stores!

heres the exact stuff i use:

319jswRNGxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure any of the GEL super glue is fine. Off brand, "super glue" brand, whatever. all basically the same. You could probably use the liquid stuff too but i don't know. Plus the gel kind if alot easier to work with. (and less likely to glue your hands together)

yes use the4 generic cheapo GEL super glue, dont try the liquid though or youre asking for a messy, sticky situation... trust me ive been there and dun that and i highly recommend the gel...

I did find that out,

definitely stable tanks r where its at! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I'll try this.

Perhaps you could make a safty video and demonstrate the effects of the toxin on the human body. :D

• 2 weeks later...
spankyleatherlips

If it's 4:00 pm on a Saturday and if I don't have any beer, would you think it would be OK if I fragged some zoa and drank Mikes Hard Lemonade instead?

corallineadam
If it's 4:00 pm on a Saturday and if I don't have any beer, would you think it would be OK if I fragged some zoa and drank Mikes Hard Lemonade instead?

you will likely be just fine with a mike hard lemonade, but hops is the best antidote for palytoxin

• 2 months later...
corallineadam
I personally use yager. For every three frags I take a shot to cure the poisoning. I fraged three colonies in the past week. Must be working

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAAHHA!!

last time i had yeager i got questioned by police and wandered to my brand new gf-at-the-time's house at like 230 am annd just walked in and get in her bed. didnt rem a thing in the morning... it was all bad! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I get how to frag zoas and the toxins that will be released. But what affect will the toxins have once you put it back into the tank or if you make the cut in the tank? This toxin cant be good for other corals. I have a tank mixture of everything and heard the toxins can cause bleaching to some SPS.

• 2 weeks later...
:huh: How am I being a wussy? I think its a legitimate question. Will the toxins affect other corals in a negative manner?

I havn't had any i'll effects though i don't have any SPS only LPS and softies. Just thought i'd chime in and say i've had success at cutting a head about half way up the stalk and then super gluing the head to a frag plug. The stalk will grow into a new head in ~ a week, so in a week you can pretty much double your colony :)

• 1 month later...
lovelandbmxrider
Just adding my 2 cents here. Zoos & Palys along with other polyps are highly toxic. Make sure to wear latex gloves and a face mask when fragging. Just watching out for my fellow reefers.

+1

Archived