Coral Vue Hydros

requesting ID help - warning multiple images

monsoon

Greetings, this is my first ID post.

tank overview:

- 10G JBJ Cube, cycling for 3 weeks

- 24W stock PC lighting

- Readings: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nirate 12ppm range, have not tested PH recently

- 5 pounds LR in sump, 1 pound in main tank

- about 7 pounds base rock

- water is distilled, IO salt

- salinity reads 1.022 at 79 degrees on a plastic hydro (I know I know)

There seems to be a large population of copepods, both running around the base rock and in the water column.

Ok here are the pics, both are of LR that has been in the main tank:

id_rock1_bfur.jpg

Image A - There are a couple small brown patches of what looks like hairy mucus on one of the LR's. I'm not sure whether to siphon it away or leave it..

id_rock2_wide.jpg

id_rock2_hair.jpg

Image B - Two shots, same rock. I'm assuming that purple patch is coralline algae, and the green tufts.. hair algae?

id_rock2_hairbranch.jpg

Image C - Bryopsis baby?

id_rock2_tube.jpg

Image D - green tube? - I thought I had the name of this one the other night. Didn't bookmark and can't find my way back.

id_rock2_spiral.jpg

Image E - featherduster? - this is probably something very common but I've yet to find a picture that matches.

I have moved this rock to the newly set up QT tank until I get more info:

qt_tank.jpg

If you have any comments it would be very helpful, Thanks!

To me it looks like you do have lots of small patches of hair algae cropping up. Purple patch does look llike coraline, thse spiral tubes are spiorbidae worms, perfectly harmelss. Not sure about that green tube or the fuzzy stuff on top. I'd say go ahead and throw a hefty clean up crew in there and let them get to work.

looks like turf algae to me. CHances are it will be some early MACRO algal growth. you are correct as to the featherduster worms. The green "tubes" are a species of green "bubble algae" and may or may not be anything to worry about. It adds character to the rock ;)

HTH. I was going to reply yesterday, but my IE was acting all screwy and wouldn't load web pages properly.

HTH.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Luckily I have not scrubbed that rock yet but moved it to the QT tank. Will get a few critters today. Will keep an eye on that hairy rock and see whether its hair or a more benign macro.

Archived