Coral Vue Hydros

bubble coral question

lemieux81

Hi everyone....I'm a new reef tank owner and have a question about my bubble coral. It hasn't been fully inflating over the last few days...it only gets partially inflated with its little thread like structures sticking out....does this mean that it's under stress of some sort? What do you suggest I do...my one fish...a clown...seems to be all right as well as my other coral...appreciate any help.

Bubbles are prone to a type of disease that makes it hard for them to inflate. Chances are you do NOT have it.

check to see if you can see any skeletal "Teeth" ridges that have cut through the mantel of the coral. If it is closed up, and sunken deep in the center crevaces, chances are there may be some tissue damage.

Thread like structures ? if I understand what you mean, those are sweeper tenticles.

Something in the water is annoying the coral, and it is in defensive mode.

do a w/c and see if the fish, or any inverts are monkeying around in the vicinity of the bubble. Chances are it is just some bad water chemestry.

Also check your positioning in the tank, my bubble prefered low flow and direct light. Make sure it is not in a high flow area, if it is try moving it to a more sheltered spot. I had to rearrange some of the rockwork in my 55 to provide a suitable area.

Archived