Top Shelf Aquatics

Pix of 20" Coralife Aqualight 96w?

johnner

I'm looking at getting one of these for a new 10g nano. I'm concerned about the amount of space that will be open in the back. I'd like enough space for plumbing etc, but don't want a big gaping opening. Could I get some pix of these in action? Thanks!

lamps-now_1764_257619

ill get u some pics when i get some f'n batteries this dang camera devours AA's.

I have my lights on the aftermarket legs they sell. It gives me about 2-3 inches of clearance between the bottom of the light and top of the tank. The light can slide forward and back since it just sitting on top of the tank corners. If you were to slide the as far front, you could probably have 2 1/2" of clear space in the back.

Ok, it's making a bit more sense now. Do you have to use the legs, or will it rest on the lip of the tank? My other option, if it won't rest on the tank, is to get a glass cover and set the light on that. My only concern is loss of light through the glass etc. Comments, suggestions?

Use a glass cover if you have fish that tend to jump. Otherwise, the tank stays cooler without it. Glass does block some of the light, but as long as you keep it clean it isn't really worth worrying about.

I would definitely getthe legs. The light fixture will transfer a lot of heat to the tank without it. The legs are cheap and effective.

i have the legs & a glass cover. The evaporation is really really bad, and I dont have the time to drive down to the pet store to buy RO water. Living in a dorm doesnt help me out any.

Im not having any problems with the tank heating up. The highest I've had my tank go was 82 but that was because i had my heater was set wrong, now its runs steady at 78-80.

You don't have to use the legs, but I'm just weary of the idea of having an open tank. Besides the evaporation, I fear my cat might get a bit too interested in the tank.

Archived