Coral Vue Hydros

What is this thing?

JimmyZtank

Bought some live rock and I noticed that there was some organism on the LR, Its about 1" in diameter and at night it extends out at least two inches

I had a Mushroom drift into its cave and the damn thing tryed muchin down on it, I had to pry the shroom away from this thing.

I have tried to kill this thing with boiling hot water but it just does not want to die.

I recently lost a goby and Im wondering if this thing could have something to do with it.

this is the best pic I could get

Pretty damn awful pic, from that I have no idea. Does it look like an anemone? Might be some sort of rock or flower anemone. You gotta get something clearer or we're just guessing. If your camera has a manual focus option, try using that to clear it up a little.

I'm wondering if the goby death has something to do with your thought process. Why would you pour boiling water on something that you can't even identify?

This is how it all began. Got a tank running with only water, live sand, and cured rock. During the first week I noticed small tube worms and this thing. I was told it was a huge aptasia (pest anenome) by the LFS. So I tried to kill it with their recommondation: Squirt it with hot water. So the only thing that got the hot water treatment was this thing and the hole it was in over a bucket. It survived. Haven't done anything to it since then. I don't think it's a mushroom. It moves around like an anenome. This thing opens it's biggest when the lights are off... that's why the zoo's are closed.

I've never seen a transparent mushroom. Try to find some Stop Aptasia at your LFS, I belive it comes with a syringe, inject that into it and see what happens. You may just want to pull the rock out and give it a good freshwater dip or remove it altogether. From the pics it does look like some sort of anemone.

It doesn't have the symmetrical form of ricordea, my best guess would be some sort of flower anemone, and if the aggressivness is true, that doesn't sound like a ric either.

thanks for the good direction johnny, a flower anemone? gonna have to do some reading on that

Brahm: Whatever it is, the hot water didnt have any adverse affects on it at all, the thing looks just like it did when I first spotted it.

as for what LFS I go to, AW, OG, and the occasional trip to some stores up in LA, In fact I was up there today and bought some new zoos (2) rocks covered in polyps, cost me 25 bux, down here it would have cost me 60 easily. The prices are outrageous for corals down here and the selection aint that great.

One last thing brahm....if your looking for equipment at a good price I highly recommend Custom Aquatics, they are based in san diego, some of the best prices I have ever seen and you get to save on shipping.

Custom aquatics is actually a sponsor of this site as well as RC, Their off of palomar mountain road off the 5, they sell everything from sand, tanks, lighting, everything except for livestock. They arent really setup for walk in customers, you kinda gotta know what your looking for. The only thing you'll see if you go there is a office waiting room. I believe that they do alot of wholesale.

I still find it hard to believe that this thing could be a ric

I think it's a rhodactis mushroom. Try to let it be for a few weeks before you kill it. If it heals a little someone might be able to tell you exactly what it is. If you look at the stripes on it and the warty texture of the flesh it looks just like a rhodactis or ricordia.

Rhodactis is the more aggressive of the two, and if they detach themselves they move around until they find a suitable place to settle. Maybe you could scoop it up and float it in a fish breeder or something like that.

RHODACTUS ? WTF ?

sorry, but wayyy off.

It is a species of rock anemone. They generaly have a few white lines that radiate out from the center to the fringes of them, and a milky almost transluscent color. It is NOT aiptasia.

and Aiptasia is only a pest if it is bothering other corals.

FWIS, that lill cave is a great place for that anemone, as I;m sure some curents blow into there (such as the mushroom did) and bring it food and nutrients.

leave it alone.

Ditto on the flower anemone vote. They're (IMO) a good thing to have, unless they start murdering your corals. They have to serve some kind of purpose or they simply wouldn't exist. Granted, their place is in a much larger eco-system than a nano-reef, but with a watchful eye, they're neat to have.

Strong suggestion: Move the zoanthids a little further away... it's probably stinging them.

Further opinion: A lot of people go out of their way to make tanks hospitable to anemones that are commonly availible at LFS' , when -beautiful- and unique ones hitch their way in all the time (for free).

I found an aiptasia on one of my rocks. What did I do? I left it there. It was small, purple with stripes. It , in essence, was damned cool. Now I have two. Not a curse, frankly... a blessing.

I wanted an anemone ... and I got one. It's alive and well, it's reproducing and it's -purple-. That's alot more than most can say for theirs.

Summary: Give the anemone a chance, move the zoos away a little. You may end up really liking it, you never know.

BlackSumbel: thanks for the advice, moved those zoos this morning.

Dont know what Im going to do with this guy? Is this rock anemone capable of eating a small goby?

thanks for the great advice, Im glad I posted this thread to find out what this thing is.

DAMN LFS!

Um... it depends on how big the anemone is... and how SMALL the goby is.

I.e. If it's a 2" goby and a 1/2" anemone... goby's probably safe. Reverse those measurements, and I'd worry.

Archived