Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anenomes and Light

rperrice

How much light exposure do anenomes need?

I have a couple of BTA's in my 7-gal nano. They are positioned in the middle of the tank. My lighting is 32watt 50/50 power compact. I have my lights on approximately 11.5 hours (9:30 - 9:00). My anenomes seem to enjoy the light up until about 6:00 pm. Then they seem to deflate and shrink until the lights go out and then they go back to their normal shape and size. Is this normal? Would it hurt to shorten the light cycle? The only other corals I have in the tank are some mushrooms and frogspawn and I also have two clownfish.

a couple, in a 7 gal. I am like the biggest anemone advocate you'll find on here and I dont really think thats a good idea. At least bring that down to one anemone.

you have more than enough light, the current cycle you have is fine, dont worry about the "shriveling up at night" they do that now and again

are you feeding the anemone??

and you have 2 clownfish also, I would get rid of one as well

this is a severly overstocked 7 gal tank

10 hours is good.

a Second on the fact that you may be overstocked.

How often do you do a W/c ?

Often times, the clowns will iritate anemones in captivity and cause long term issues with growth.

Your lighting is weak.

and yeah what do you feed ?

If I keep the water quality high ( I do a 10% and 5% w/c per week), have good water circulation, have decent lighting and don't overfeed, why is my tank considered overstocked? Could you guys please explain the issue of why you cannot have to much livestock in a saltwater aquarium if its maintained properly?

The clowns seem to enjoy the anenomes. I feed the anenomes pieces of squid and silversides once a week and also fed them some brine shrimp once in a while along with the clowns. Also, I lowered my light cycle by an hour.

Hopefully, I'm getting a larger tank soon (at least a 20g) although I know you should run a tank a few months before adding anenomes.

Originally posted by rperrice

Could you guys please explain the issue of why you cannot have to much livestock in a saltwater aquarium if its maintained properly?

I did not mean to imply you do not properly care for your tank. With that said, a well maintained 7 gal tank is very limited. 2 BTA's are way too much, 1 is really pushing it. Those may be very small and cute now but they will grow much bigger. Also 2 clownfish IMO are too much for a 7 gal.

Now clowns dont generally require a huge tank since they usually stay in or near their host anemone, but 2 clowns and 2 BTAs in 1 7 gal tank, that is really too much. You will not be able to put any other corals since they will be stung and the clowns may end up ripping eachother apart as they get bigger

It all comes down to waste products, bioload and chemical soup.

Anemones are constantly in a state of inflation and deflation, and speu all sorts of nasty gunk out into the surrounding waters that are swept away by ocean currents. They then inhale fresh seawater, and continue to live healthy and happy. Given time in a closed system, polution that is compounded by more polution (even in dilution) is still... well absolution of the need for less bioload and the destructitude of the ramificational containment of animals.

NOTE> I just made myself laugh when I re-read that statemtn and thought of DON KING the boxing promoter :D

so I embelished it to make absolute NONSENSE out of sense... I think if ya read it, and think about it.. the message is still clear ;)

even if you do 15% a week, it may not be enough to have a stable and healthy LONG TERM tank... which is what we are striving for here... right ?

(answer is YES )

Bearing tht in mind, FISH produce the MOST waste... therein lies another dilema in water quality.

just some more food for thought ;)

Archived